[NCUC-EC] NCUC PC

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Jul 4 17:21:06 CEST 2018

Hi Farzaneh,

Actually "shall" is not same as "may", it can also mean "must", or
something a bit different than either, depending on context and
jurisdiction. (I am aware of US Supreme Court 2013 decision Arizona v.
The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc. It does not answer the
question definitively in general.)

Perhaps "may" is the more reasonable interpretation in this case,
but it's not entirely obvious and in general it pays to be careful
about ambiguities with "shall".

E.g., Black's Law Dictionary:

'What is SHALL?

As used in statutes and similar instruments, this word is generally
imperative or mandatory; but it may be construed as merely permissive
or directory, (as equivalent to “may,”) to carry out the legislative
intention and In cases where no right or benefit to any one depends on
its being taken in the imperative sense, and where no public or
private right is impaired by its interpretation in the other sense.'

https://thelawdictionary.org/shall/

Tapani