[NCUC-EC] announcing ICANN63 travel slot?

Louise Marie Hurel louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:16:37 CEST 2018

Dear all,

First, I'd like to kindly thank Joan for her inputs.

Second, I cast my first vote to Shahul. As my colleagues have already
highlighted, he has been actively engaging in policy writing and shows
promising development within our community -- he has shown consistent
commitment and dedication. His application was clear, consistent and
grounded. I think he would also benefit greatly from the opportunity to
participate on-site and hopefully lay deeper grounds for further engagement
within the NCUC.

Quite frankly, my second vote goes to *either* Benjamin or Dina. Let me
take a few lines to explain why - given NPOC Chair's support for Dina. I
have had the opportunity to work with her in the past two meetings at the
onboarding program. She is committed and has engaged in drafting comments -
a strong applicant. Although her application might have benefitted from a
more concrete outline of how she has been working within PDPs - or tying
PDP experience as an observer with her policy writing (a general way of
gaining insights and perspectives from other stakeholder groups and/or
maturity in navigating ICANN). On the other hand, I also think that we need
to give space for new applicants, and that includes giving Ben an
opportunity, as he has, unfortunately, not been able to attend the last
meeting due to visa issues. He also submitted a good application,
clearly demonstrating consistency in participating and following two PDPs
and looking for mentorship. My only question here is that while he states
that he would do his best to "keep along with the ICANN63 sessions
especially those that concern the NCUC and NCSG" he didn't explain how the
slot would also play into his volunteer work on NPOC's PC, in particular. I
think that this might have been an opportunity for him to provide a more
robust account of a grounded plan for engagement in this next meeting.

As observed, I outlined both the pros and cons of their applications. *I
don't think there's a clear shot here* and thus count on my peers to either
provide further insights to their decision that might aid in the allocation
of this slot or, rely on a majority of voters for one or the other.

Hope this provides a fair account of my decision.

Kind regards,

Louise Marie Hurel

Cybersecurity Project Coordinator | Igarapé Institute

London School of Economics (LSE) Media and Communications (Data and Society)
Skype: louise.dias
+44 (0) 7468 906327
*l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk <l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk> *
louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com