[NCUC-EC] Fwd: Application: Travel support call for ICANN63

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:51:20 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Roli Mahajan <roli.mahajan at gmail.com>
Date: ter, 7 de ago de 2018 16:43
Subject: Application: Travel support call for ICANN63
To: <chair at ncuc.org>, <maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am interested in attending the ICANN63 Annual General Meeting in
Barcelona, Spain. I am one of the new members of the Non-commercial
stakeholders group. I am an Indian who will be moving to Uppsala (Sweden)
for pursuing a Master's in Peace and Conflict resolution at the end of this
month.

I have about 10 years of professional experience. I have worked as a
blogger/journalist for online media outlets, an editor for a publishing
house and recently, as a digital communications consultant. As I have
worked for online outlets and products, my interest in all aspects of the
internet is but natural. I am learning more about ICANN, NCSG and digital
governance by following the conversations online. I believe that if given a
chance to attend the Barcelona meet, I will get a better understanding of
the lay of the internet governance map.

Previously, I have contributed towards the youth advocacy efforts at the
sustainable development summit and I hope to bring the same skills --
communication, research, creative advocacy -- to the table. I also helped
with the online consultation for the Rio+20 zero draft and presented the
Asian Youth perspective at the UNESCAP meeting in the lead-up to the
sustainable development summit.

I am hoping to get airfare and hotel support of about 850USD from NCSG
(return airfare and 7 nights accommodation).  As I will be in Europe and
will not need a visa, this will help minimize my participation costs. I am
hoping that through this opportunity I can get more training through any
pilot programs which might commence or buddy programmes that already exist,
such that I can contribute more meaningfully to this group as well as to
internet governance related discussions, generally.

I can commit to about 4 hours per week from September in the lead-up to the
meeting and barring a week in November (the week of my academic
submission), I can commit to the same number of hours after the Barcelona
meet. I am happy to blog about the same and help manage the social media
presence of the group in October as I am a specialized resource when it
comes to communication.

Currently, I am a part of the Cherie Blair Foundation's mentoring women in
business program as a volunteer. I use this to illustrate the point that I
am interested in sharing all I know with others and that I would love
to volunteer
to mentor future NCSG members. As of now I have attended two NCUC meetings
and I would like to be a part of either or both of these working
groups: Next-Generation
gTLD Registration Directory Services to Replace Whois and Rights Protection
Mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs PDP Working Group.

In the end, I would like to thank you for your time. Please do let me know
if anything else is needed from my end.

Thanking you,

Kind regards,
Roli Mahajan