[NCUC-EC] URGENT: Proposed EC statement on transition and ICANN reforms

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Sep 29 04:10:38 CEST 2016

Dear EC members
We have learned this evening that the IANA transition will not be blocked by the US Congress.
As an immediate measure, I'd like for the NCUC EC to send the statement below to the ICANN board. I have copied our GNSO Councilors on this because I think they could help push this agenda.
The words below may not be perfect but please let's not get mired in word-smithing, we need to get this statement out quickly. If there are any significant errors or omissions fix them and send an amended version right out, otherwise just express your support (or lack of it).

--MM

===

The Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC) Executive Committee (EC) was gratified to hear that the IANA transition will not be blocked by the U.S. Congress. We congratulate the board and the entire multistakeholder community on this news. Now that the contract with NTIA is sure to expire on September 30, the NCUC EC asks that the ICANN board immediately file and execute any and all procedures needed to implement the new bylaws, which put into place critical accountability reforms. We see quick action on this matter as a confidence-building measure and a signal of good faith to the global stakeholder community. We see delay any in taking those steps as raising risks to the successful completion of the transition. We hope the board and ICANN's legal staff share these concerns and act accordingly.

##END