[NCUC-EC] NCUC election timeline/ Announcement

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 08:00:58 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

I am sending here the email I will send to announce the election and
its timeline. we have to get it, to be aligned with our charter review
timeline too (I just send to the list an announcement about the second
round).

please review the announcement carefully and suggest some changes, we need

   -  a clear text about Peter case.
   -  decide about check-in process: shall we use the voting list for
NCSG election and do quick check-in for those who didn't do it for
NCSG or shall we have a full check-in process. this is important
because we have the voting to approve the new charter.

Best,

Rafik

Hi everyone,

It is time for  NCUC to get its annual election for Chair and
Executive Committee for 2017.  For this year,  we are also going to
vote for the amended charter.

I.  Positions

The positions to be filled are:

1.  Chair  			[currently held by Rafik Dammak, eligible for another term]
2.  EC – Europe	[currently held by Farzanhe Badii, eligible for another term]
3.  EC - Africa		[currently held by Grace Githaiga, term limited]
4.  EC – Asia/Australia/Pacific		[currently vacant]
5.  EC – North America		 	[currently held by  Milton Mueller, eligible
for reelection]
6.  EC – Latin America/ Caribbean 	[currently held by João Carlos R.
Caribe, eligible for reelection]

Biographies on the current members are available from
http://www.ncuc.org/governance/executive-committee/

NCUC   EC really needs committed volunteers who are  willing to donate
a few hours a week to collaboration in order to help ensure that civil
society's voice is heard in ICANN.  The EC’s responsibilities are
administrative management, in-reach and outreach, and interfacing with
ICANN’s staff and community as needed. NCUC Chair has also several
duties and roles to fulfill.   If you think that you or someone you
know would be well suited to the tasks involved, then please consider
nominating accordingly.

The election will also concern the approval of the new NCUC charter.
According to article VIII of the current NCUC bylaws:

"*Charter amendments shall be passed if at least two thirds of the
votes cast in the election favor its adoption (provided 40% or more of
the eligible Voters cast a ballot in the election).*"

Because the charter amendment, we really need a good turnout and
participation of our membership in the vote,

The information about the ballot, how to vote and cast ballot would be
shared later.

II.  Timetable

The process begins this coming Monday, 31st October.  The timetable
will be as follows:

   - 31 Oct. - 13 Nov.:  Nominations period , nomination to be
submitted to NCUC list
   - 14 Nov-20 November:    Candidates submit statements to NCUC list
, including the candidates/members call
   - 21 Nov. - 4 Dec:  Election period / charter vote
   - 5 Dec: Results announcement

During the first two-week period, any member can self-nominate or
nominate any other member http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/.

In the second period, the nominees must notify colleagues via the mail
list whether they accept the nomination, and if they do, submit a
candidate statement (see below) .

At the voting period,  ballots will be emailed from this email address
tally at icann.org .  Staff will then run the tally software and announce
the vote, and the new EC will be set up soon thereafter. Only those
who check-in and included in the voters list will receive the ballot.

III.  Participation

We will conduct a quick check-in process to build the voter list,
similar to the process done for NCSG election. The process will start
soon. You just need to respond to the email to be considered as active
and added to the voters list.

if  you would like  to correct current email address in our data base
in order for staff to send you a ballot.  So within the next couple
weeks, Maryam Bakoshi will send mail to every address in our data base
asking for a reply email confirming that it is the valid address for
the individual member or organizational representative listed at
http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/ .  Please make sure that her
message does not get lost in a spam filter.  Her address
maryam.bakoshi at icann.org

IV.  Candidate Statements
For the statement, the nominated candidate should answer:

1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe
the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on
the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests
you might have.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency.  What  level of time commitment can you bring to your EC
role on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or
limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive
Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and
why?

Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward
and forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work
in the previous year.

The statements should be relatively concise, e.g. a couple paragraphs
per question.

V.  "Meet the Candidates” confcall

In the week prior to the voting period, we will organize a confcall
for the membership to ask candidates. The date/time will be decided
and shared during that week.

There will be further communication to give more details about the
process and responding to your questions and inquiries.

Best Regards,

Rafik Dammak