[NCUC-EC] Proposed statement on the sexual harassment issue

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Sat Mar 19 23:01:30 CET 2016

Dear fellow EC members:

Three of us have developed the following statement to address the controversy. Please let us know quickly whether you support it.

STATEMENT OF THE NONCOMMERCIAL USERS CONSTITUENCY EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

1. NCUC EC supports the development of a policy on sexual harassment by ICANN, but we do not support the disclosure of the name of the accused and the content of private correspondence on open mailing lists. We firmly believe that privacy and confidentiality are essential rights that both accused and accuser should enjoy equally.

2. We believe an adoption of a policy that clearly defines the process and imposes proper safeguards for both sides will allow such controversies to be avoided in the future.

3. In order to avoid the potential for abuse of such a policy and to avoid inculcating a climate of fear and intimidation around interpersonal interactions in the diverse ICANN community, any such policy must:

     a) be developed in an atmosphere of impartial, open discussion in which all viewpoints can be heard

     b) be based on clear, unambiguous standards that can be readily understood by ICANN participants

     c) respect the procedural and substantive rights of both the accuser and the accused

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology