[NCUC-EC] CROPP updates and next steps

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 02:10:50 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

as we discussed previously, we have to start the process for CROPP in FY17.
one requirement is to prepare a outreach strategical plan. I drafted one
referring to the plan made for FY16. We get to get that quickly so we can
process Aarti CROPP slot for APrIGF end of july, having in mind the
cumbersome 6 weeks requirement. The draft is here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bZ2HsgsW4lGvZuAAokfNI1ebFkMopmcPWeap6jtiqCY/edit
.
if you have a list of prospective events, it would be helpful.

for FY17, there are some changes: we have to select between different
options available to GNSO for CROPP:

   1. Allowance of 4 Regional Trips: standard 3 nights and 4 days
   (increased from 2 nights and 3 days available in FY16)
   2. Up to 2 Outreach/Engagement Events for 7,500 USD each (increased from
   1 in FY16)
   3. A combination of both: 1 outreach event AND 2 regional trips (not
   available in FY16)

I am in favor of option 3 since it presents a hybrid solution: having 2
travel slots to attend events as we did this year and having fund for an
outreach event. We can then experiment using the funding for outreach
events and see if it fits our needs. my experience with travel slot CROPP
is that presents several challenges in term of planning for conferences,
getting proposals, submitting in time, doing the arrangement but also
having to support the supported travellers before and during their outreach
efforts.

I am also pasting here the CROPP call for proposals for FY17, based on
previous ones, so please suggest edits and additions here so we can
initiate the call soon

Dear NCUC members,

The Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program (CROPP)
<https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy16/Community+Regional+Outreach+Pilot+Program+%28CROPP%29-FY16+Home>
allocates each
constituency with funds for 2 travel slots to attend a meeting/event. As
the program name says, support is for outreach. We had 2 slots for 2017.
There was change compared to last year since we are using funding to have
an outreach event.

You are invited to send us proposals to get funded to attend a conference
that is related to Internet policy/governance and ICANN and civil society
work, and give us a concrete action plan on how you will do outreach for
NCUC. For example, this might be organizing a short 30 minute session at
the conference or if possible a side event. The deadline for submitting
CROPP requests  is July 15th. If the EC does not receive enough or
satisfactory proposals the deadline will be extended.

Please note that the CROPP request should be received at least 8 weeks
prior to the conference or the event. If the event you are considering is
scheduled to be held in less than eight weeks from the date of receipt of
application, we might have difficulties accepting and processing the
request. Proposals for the target events should be within the timeframe of
2017 ICANN Fiscal Year, that is, the events should happen before 30th,
June, 2017.

The eligibility criteria:
1. Concrete outreach plan with a targeted audience.
2. Conferences that are related to ICANN and NCUC mission - They do not
have to be Internet related but can be related to for example transparency
of corporations or bottom up policy making. The relation to ICANN and NCUC
mission should be justified.

Participants are required to write a blogpost about the conference, and
to report on their outreach to the NCUC Executive Committee, giving any
leads to organizations and individuals who showed interest to join NCUC.

Best,

Rafik