[NCUC-EC] Call for Candidates of ICANN Mentor Pilot Program

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 24 16:12:32 CET 2016

NCUC EC members:

I looked at the documentation of this mentor program and it appears to me that we are already WAY off schedule. The notification and call for volunteers is supposed to start 10-12 weeks before the meeting, and it’s now slightly less than 6 weeks before the meeting. I don’t understand how we are supposed to a) issue a call, b) collect a list of volunteers, c) make a selection, d) get them set up for travel and e) meet all the preparatory requirements.

Further, I was considering volunteering to be a mentor but the staff have overloaded this program with enormous overhead. I don’t mind spending time at the meeting and a bit of time preparing for the meeting, but they want to create a bloody Skype channel, they want people to “create an account”, they want notes, they want formal reports. Do they not understand that this is all quite over-engineered? An idea dreamed up by people who get paid to do this shit full time that just doesn’t work for volunteers with real lives and other jobs? Neither mentor nor mentee are likely to be able to fulfill this.

Mentoring a newbie at a meeting is not that difficult to do. I’ve done it, for example, for .Asia’s youth program a couple of times. But if you load all this stuff on to it no one experienced and engaged is going to volunteer, and the mentee is going to waste a lot of time dealing with needless overhead. As structured, the program is bound to fail.

--MM