[NCUC-EC] FW: Proposal for travel support for trip to the INternational working group on data protection in telecommunications in Oslo April 2016

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 02:01:33 CET 2016

Hi Farzaneh,

this request is not an for outreach to get new members  but to bring
privacy experts and Data Protection Authority to get involved in the
process and even intervene since they have the legitimacy to do so. NCUC
had one success in term of lobbying when our outreach and contacts get the
EU Article29 WG to send the letter to the board in 2013 about the RAA
provisions (the board still trying to dodge and not responding clearly to
that letter)

Stephanie is going to that meeting to inform DPA about what is happening,
since we have newly started RDS process and we need all possible allies to
come. so the purpose fall under "opportunities/strategies for increasing
our policy influence on this issue within ICANN". we will follow-up with
her closely to make this effective and beneficial for NCUC.

the allocation will come from NCUC budget , we exceptionally allocate small
amount when it is worthy to do so. that is why we need to work more in term
of fund-seeking and explore possible areas for that.

yes, in general we have the expectation that those supported by CROPP for
example to mention NCUC, get contacts and do a serious outreach. we are not
funding people to their own stuff, we don't have such luxury. that is quite
clear.

with comments I see in different discussions and threads with some level of
confusion, I do see the need for a clear strategy, roadmap ,strategy
listing goals and objectives so we can align them with the action we are
doing. for example "influencing PDP regarding privacy" can be translated
 into actions like capacity building for newcomers to get involved in the
process, funding NC experts to attend meeting, producing a position paper
about whois issue, outreach to DPA and other related parties. I will be
happy to work on that.

Such roadmap will also help us in term of selections, travel awarding,
appointments but also expectations from of what we are doing.

Best,

Rafik