[NCUC-EC] [NCUC-DISCUSS] [Info] Call for candidates for NCUC Delegate to the ICANN 2017 Nominating Committee

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Tue Aug 2 19:02:32 CEST 2016

I always support Bill for whatever he is up for.  :-)

That said, the point about "first year orientation dance" leads me to
wonder about whether we might consider an expanded organizational structure
surrounding this role.

I had experience in the past with one NPO that had a sort of rolling team
in place for its executive directorship: there was always a current ED, but
in addition they had formal designation for "ED-in-training" who would take
over the position in the following term, as well as "past-ED" who had been
in the position the previous term.

So it was a sort of triumvirate, where one individual had the actual
decision-making power (and made the largest time commitment), but the
veteran was available on-call for advice and institutional memory, while a
less-experienced individual was systematically looking-in and learning the
ropes as an observer.

This would probably be a bit cumbersome for all NCUC representative
positions, but if the learning curve issue is important enough in this
case, perhaps something from this idea might be incorporated for this case?

I imagine for our Chairs there is an informal version of this that goes on
anyway (with past Chairs being available to advise current Chairs, and new
candidates for Chair tend to be those with a certain degree of experience
in the group).  I just wonder if there is any value to formalizing this in
the case of NomCom rep, given the formal 2-year-max framework?

Dan