[NCUC-EC] Fwd: Reminder ICANN Document Development and Drafting Pilot Program

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 25 03:25:58 CEST 2016

I want to express my strongest opposition to this entire program.

I have carefully observed the role of ICANN staff in the drafting of CCWG proposals and the assessment of public comments on those proposals. For the most part, staff did a very professional job, but in the final analysis there was no way to avoid the critical conflict of interest that existed.

If you are trying to reform ICANN in a way that redistributes power from ICANN board and staff to the community, it is a very bad mistake to allow the administration, drafting and assessment processes to be controlled by ICANN staff. This problem manifested itself in numerous ways. The latest example is the evisceration of the Human Rights Framework of Interpretation provisions (see the CCWG list for details).

Now we are asked to outsource our only important function – policy development – to ICANN staff.

Big mistake. There is no doubt in my mind that this will lead to a total loss of control over the policy development process by civil society stakeholders. Just as board, staff and legal had too much influence over the ICANN accountability CCWG, ICANN the corporation will become the controlling factor in the development of “community” policies.

ICANN already provides enormous amounts of support to its GNSO council and working groups.

This needs to be resisted not only by NCUC but blocked for all other constituencies as well. ICANN’s stakeholder groups need to be in control of policy development, not the staff.