[NCUC-EC] Review of CROPP proposals

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 04:28:34 CEST 2016

Hi Rafik,

Below is my suggestion

*Africa*: I can see that Anriette, Benjamin, Farrel, James and  Remmy have
applied for the same conference, Africa Internet Summit. As to Farrel, I
think the proposal is not convincing enough.He needs more time to get
acquainted with us and engage with working groups, then do outreach. As to
other proposals for AIS, I like the proposals and it is difficult to
decide. But it seems like Anriette has a session planned. I would very much
like to support  Benjamin and Remmy  to do outreach and get support from
NCUC.James needs some more time to become more active at NCUC. But I think
Anriette proposal is more suitable for CROPP and is more NCUC focussed.
As to Sogintu's proposal: I doubt that in Open Gov Partnership conferences
there is much room for civil society outreach. I don't have much knowledge
about the event but I think compared to AIS , it has less chances.
*Suggestion:*  I suggest to accept Anriette's proposal. I would like to
follow up with Benjamin and others to discuss how they can become more
involved and which other meetings are good to participate at. I also invite
Grace to reach out to these individuals and give them advice.

*LAC: * I like both of the proposals done by Karel and Renata. It seems
like we already have some involvement with CSISAC Forum & OECD Ministerial
Conference and I see more opportunity at CIVICUS ( proposed by Karel).
Karel proposal concerns me as he doesnt have any concrete plan or a session
about NCUC.

*Suggestion:* I suggest to accept Karel's proposal if the timing is ok and
if his strategy can be more convincing.

*Asia Pacific:  *Vidushi and Aarti's proposals for AprIGF should be
considered for the next round of CROPP because it is going to be held in
July.  I think Soumya's proposal is interesting but not suitable for this
CROPP. we should talk to her more about how the project can be implemented
through other means or in other CROPP projects. Same applies for Sri Lanka
School for Int gov.

*Suggestion:* not able to allocate in this round. will consider for the
next round of CROPP.

*North America: *Kathy's proposal for INTA is interesting but I don't see
how she can do outreach and get members for NCUC at INTA. It seems like if
she attends the conference we will gain good information about the trade
mark actors.
*Suggestion:* If possible we should allocate NCUC funding to Kathy if not
then Kathy's proposal needs to be more convincing as to how she will
recruit members for NCUC.

*Europe: *As to Bill's proposal for CROPP to EuroDIG I have some concerns:
first as he states in his own email, CROPP has been used for EuroDIG last
year for attendance of three members. second, we have already done outreach
in Brussels in January.

Ayden's proposal sounds promising, we have not done outreach at WSIS before
and he has a session which he can use as a space for outreach and promoting
NCUC. I support his application.

Tatiana's proposal is a good opportunity for outreach as well.

*Suggestion: *Approve Ayden's request and support Tatiana with travel
support.

So my suggestions: 1. Africa: Anriette's proposal.  2. LAC: Karel's
proposal 3. North America: Kathy Kleiman ( if it can be more convincing) 4.
Ayden at WSIS ( please note that we have allocated CROPP to Europe before
if you see any other convincing proposal then it should be prioritized.)

Travel Support: 1. Tatiana for SEEDIG.

If others do not agree with me on the choice related to Africa, I also
think Remmy and Benjamin's proposals were of good quality.

As for LAC, if allocation is not possible to be made to Karel I am thinking
perhaps Renata should go to the ministerial meeting. But I don't have much
knowledge about OECD ministerial, so any advice from other EC members is
greatly appreciated.

Best

Farzaneh

On 4 April 2016 at 12:05, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> please find attached the proposals we got for the CROPP call. we got 4
> slots to allocate. I will also double check if I am not missing any request.
>
> we have to make decision quickly because some of the events proposed are
> quite close. I will check anyway about the deadline and the feasibility.
>
> for some proposals, we may use NCUC funding if advised and if the cost is
> not prohibitive and if we think that is worthy event to do outreach.
>
> please review carefully the proposals and send your selection lists.
> several members are applying for the same conference so we may select only
> 1 individual for that. one request is beyond CROPP remit but is listed for
> tracking purpose. we want to go to some  specific regions but not
> necessarily a hardcoded requirement.
>
> I would like to receive your selection by this friday then we can decide
> the top 4 and make decision.
>
> after we will do some evaluation of this experiment and see how we can
> improve it.
>
> Best,
>
> Rafik

Farzaneh