[NCUC-EC] [PC-NCSG] Board Risk Committee Request for Feedback on Top 5 ICANN Enterprise Risks

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 09:31:43 CET 2015

Hi

David Olive has written again to chairs asking for input on “enterprise risks” by 1 April.  At https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/summary-risk-management-process-23jan15-en.pdf <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/summary-risk-management-process-23jan15-en.pdf> you will find the staff’s own construction of what these risks entail.  There are some areas of connection to things we’ve said here and some disjunctures.  Why staff should be doing this rather than the community is a whole other question.

We are supposed to provide 5.  If we come to agreement on just 5 then Rafik can submit them on behalf of NCSG.  If we identify more than 5 we want to highlight than NCUC and NPOC can provide additional listings.  Either way, the process needs coordination.

In our prior conversation, people listed the following points.

1.  The first, overarching risk is if staff and leadership think of ICANN as an corporation with “enterprise risks” rather than a community-driven global governance mechanism with global public responsibilities and associated risks.

2.  There’s a risk that once the tie to the US government is severed ICANN will be found guilty of being a monopoly under antitrust/competition law in California (Cartwright Ace), the USA (Sherman), the EU (TFEU 101-109) or in some other jurisdiction.

3.  There’s a risk of a  lack of confidence in the domain name system as adequately protecting consumer security and privacy leading to widespread adoption of alternative mechanisms.

4. There’s a risk of over reliance on commercial gTLD profits as driving ICANNs planning and growth, leading to planning that is not focussed on ICANNs core mission.

5.  There’s a risk of alternative, external, policy discussion outside ICANN community due to lack of engagement - for example, ICANNs fate being part of US congressional politics is an example of this form of risk.

Please compare these to the staff list, see if there’s tweaks/additions to suggest, and we can go from there.  We have two weeks.

Thanks

Bill