[NCUC-EC] Fwd: NCPH Intersessional Meeting Pl -- proposal for discussion

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Jan 7 10:01:14 CET 2015

Hi

As noted in another message, CSG is well organized for the DC meeting.  Below is a proposal from Steve.  Note that their suggested procedure for Selection of GNSO Council Vice Chair is pretty much what we agreed years ago but they then refused to acknowledge the agreement when we nominated Wendy Seltzer. Those who were around then might recall the fun when Marilyn insisted there’d been no agreement and I proceeded to read out the emails in which she’d agreed.  It’d be good if we went in aware of the history here and prepared to respond.

What do people think of the second proposal?  I’m fine with it in principle but don’t know when we’d schedule it.  In the past what we’ve done is informal gatherings with CSG (i.e. drinks) or leaders (dinner in London).  We might consider a working breakfast on CD, I don’t know…thoughts?

Bill

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met at msk.com>
> To: Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>, William Drake	<william.drake at uzh.ch>, Tony Holmes <tonyarholmes at btinternet.com>, "lori.schulman at ascd.org" <lori.schulman at ascd.org>, Kristina Rosette	<krosette at cov.com>, "rudi.vansnick at isoc.be" <rudi.vansnick at isoc.be>, "Elisa Cooper" <Elisa.Cooper at markmonitor.com>, Jimson Olufuye	<jolufuye at kontemporary.net>, Stefania Milan <Stefania.Milan at EUI.eu>, "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade at hotmail.com>
> Subject: NCPH Intersessional Meeting Pl -- proposal for discussion
> Date: January 7, 2015 at 1:23:50 AM GMT+1
>
> Fellow Non-contracted party house leaders,
>
> As discussed during some of our planning calls for the NCPH intersessional meeting, our discussion of “In-House” issues regarding the functioning of our House and the fulfillment of its responsibilities could be facilitated by having some concrete proposals on the table prior to our arrival in Washington.
>
>  In that spirit, and with the endorsement of the Commercial Stakeholder Group executive committee, I offer the following proposals for your consideration, and for discussion both via e-mail prior to the intersessional meeting and during our face to face discussion in Washington, currently scheduled for next Monday morning (“slot C”).  Please feel free to share these proposals with your colleagues as appropriate.
>
> 1.  Selection of GNSO Council Vice Chair: We propose to replace the current ad hoc selection system with the following:  The privilege to nominate a candidate for Vice Chair should be rotated annually between the two Stakeholder Groups.  Since a counselor from the non-commercial side (David Cake) has been selected each of the past two years, we propose that the commercial side exercise this privilege in 2015, non-commercial in 2016.  For election, the nominee would have to win an absolute majority of votes (currently 7) including at least one vote from each stakeholder group, in a “nominee v. none of the above” poll.  (The NCA appointee to our house would continue to be eligible to vote.)  Both sides would commit not to reject the nominee of the other side other than for compelling reasons that are communicated in advance to the other side.  Finally, we would set the clear expectation that the vice chair would keep both sides of the House informed of relevant activities within the Council, including by meeting with each side of the House upon request, at least once each calendar quarter.

> [...]

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org