[NCUC-EC] EC Approval Processes

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon Aug 17 10:41:19 CEST 2015

Hi

Just to keep track of our deadlines:

1.  NomCom: 21 August decision notified
*Two candidates, Remmy and myself

[I am recused but assume you all are in communication off list.  NB that if selected, I could get NomCom travel funding to Dublin, freeing up the Euralo slot I was going to travel on.  In this case I could ask them if Stefania could take over that slot.  If that works, then we would have another NCUC slot available.]

2.  Leadership Training @ Dublin: Applications due 21 Aug, decision must be notified to ICANN 31 Aug
*Two candidates, Remmy and Hanane Boujemi.

[My view: as outlined in her message I forwarded here on 5 Aug, Hanane is the Senior Manager of Hivos’ MENA region programme on Internet Governance.  She has been involved with civil society for a long time and I think it would be great to get Hivos, a substantial player in that space, involved in NCUC.  Right now the only connection is her personal membership. I’d like to see if we could entice them into an organizational membership.  Given that nobody on the EC has expressed interest in the opportunity, unless there are stronger apps in the next few days I would support her doing the program.  It would be good to hear other’s views.

3.  NCUC Travel Support to Dublin: Applications due 28 August.
*I’ve had one inquiry, but from a previous recipient, but not a formal app yet.

[A priori, I’d think it would be preferable to spread the opportunities around if we get apps from others who are now or are credibly likely to become engaged in the work.]

4.  IGF: I’ve just heard from staff, they want names very soon, which makes sense as the Brazil travel will be complicated.
*As described in March, per the past few years we submitted one NCSG workshop and a couple NCUC, and all were highly rated and approved by the MAG and hence funded.  Previously I traveled on NCSG slots but this time it will be Rafik, Robin and maybe an NPOC person.  So I will travel this time on one of the two NCUC slots.  That leaves one to fill.  Normally we would use these to get people to the meeting who are involved in the NCUC panels I’ve organized unless they have other funding possibilities.  We have Stefania and Jia He as rapporteurs/remote participation coordinator on the two sessions, so they’d be the first choices.  I am trying to find out from Jia if she can get funded by the Chinese.  Stefania it would be good to know your situation.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer