[NCUC-EC] Soliciting Nominations of Candidates for NCUC Delegate to the ICANN 2016 NominatingCommittee

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon Aug 10 16:33:22 CEST 2015

Hi Peter

> On Aug 10, 2015, at 3:44 PM, PeterGreen <seekcommunications at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> As I have added at the end of the follow-up email, this proves people are more involved in this Constituency.

I don’t believe there is any evidence of this, actually. Neither of the two At Large-based people who have complained about things on the list have ever had any involvement in NCUC, NCSG or the GNSO other than subscribing to our lists.

> The EC has to put it on the table, otherwise people will complain about transparency issues.
>

> Peter, could you please send a note to the list saying the EC will accept nominations on the timeline you suggested? Also, I think it would be useful to remind people somehow what this actually requires in terms of work and relationships and representation and why we have always been very careful to pick people who are a good fit, as indicated previously:
>
> I have sent a follow-up call, with the points I think we should cover. Please see the email.
>
> If I have missed some points, please let me know.

You didn’t mention the kinds of criteria NCUC has always used to evaluate candidates, just the Nomcom’s ICANN-wide general points.  This could lead someone to think that they are right for the job even if they have no involvement in NCUC or significant engagement with civil society or understanding of the bargaining dynamics and stakes for civil society in NomCom. That’s why I twice shared:

> On Aug 5, 2015, at 11:03 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch <mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch>> wrote:
>
> inter alia,
>
> a.  Record of involvement with NCUC, contributions to the group, participation in its work, reliable linkages to people in various leadership positions and the general membership for the purpose of consultation, information flow, etc.
>
> b.  A specification of Nomcom no. 2: wide contacts in and experience with global civil society, so that the person can plausibly try to recruit top people for top positions (e.g. there are board slots to fill).
>
> c.  An ability to play well with other children.  The Nomcom is dominated by business groupings, ALAC, etc., and the politics and strategic games can be rather intense.  We actually had a NCUC representative resign a couple years ago in frustration, so it’s important that the person has the stomach for shenanigans, knows what the other groupings are trying to do and why, and can work with them well and be taken seriously.

I don’t believe we should throw out these long-standing considerations without discussion or a reason.

Best

Bill