[NCUC-EC] Constructing the Member Blog Space

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Apr 3 09:28:18 CEST 2015

Hi

> On Apr 2, 2015, at 8:18 PM, Milan, Stefania <Stefania.Milan at EUI.eu> wrote:
>
> So cool!! Thank you very much :-)
> If everyone agrees, i can upload it tonight or tomorrow!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 02/apr/2015, at 20:11, "Robin Gross" <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill and NCUC'ers,
>>
>> I've written the attached article on free expression and PICs that I'd like to submit for posting to NCUC's blog.  The article is attached.

Before we load Robin’s latest, maybe we should think about how to do this and make some quick decisions.  We have a number of members, particularly veterans, who blog elsewhere, particularly on CircleID.  Probably a lot of other members, particularly newer ones, may not be aware of this.  Not sharing these missives seems like a missed opportunity to promote a greater level of community awareness/identity and intellectual engagement.  Given that NCUC no longer directly ‘does policy’ in sense of statements, public comments, etc, as that has migrated to the SG level, our remaining mission should be all about promoting community and engagement, sustainably connecting people to each other and the process.  Building out the blog space would seem like a relatively easy way to contribute to this.

So the question is, how do we want to configure http://www.ncuc.org/members-blog/ <http://www.ncuc.org/members-blog/>.  We can just encourage people to pass on links when they blog elsewhere and just randomly throw stuff up there, or maybe we can think of a more organized, easily scannable and aesthetic presentation, sort of make the space like an aggregator portal?  Personally I’d prefer the latter, but it’d take a little more front end design work.   Various first coffee of the day questions:

*Maybe the page should have at the top a sentence inviting people to share links etc, and then be divided into two sections, on site and off site.  Or should we just blend them all together irrespective of where they were first published?

*Do we just list everything chronologically as it comes to our attention or just have newest entries displayed on the top page (I’d think it merits a little section rather than just dumped into “News”) and then on blog page list everyone alphabetically?

*So that people have ready access to all the work not just a single entry, would it make sense to denote frequent bloggers and then list/link the most recent entry, and just blend single entries in alpha, e.g. like

Benjamin Akinmoyeje: Inside an ICANN meeting: My experience 29 March 2015

Robin Gross at Circle ID http://www.circleid.com/members/5382/ <http://www.circleid.com/members/5382/> [links embedded of course]

• Recent: Freedom of Expression Chilled by ICANN's Addition of Speech Restrictions in DNS, 1 April 2015

Milton Mueller at http://www.internetgovernance.org <http://www.internetgovernance.org/>

• Recent: 	Cyberspace and the nature of the state 1 March 2015

Or some such thing?  Of course, someone would have to update ‘Recent’ each time someone bothers to bring an entry to our attention.

Of course, it’s easy enough of evolve this as we go and reorganize stuff on Wordpress iteratively, so it’s not like we must establish the grand scheme for all time today, but we might have a concept to start with if we’re going to draw members attention to it and encourage people to use it.

Thoughts?

Bill