[NCUC-EC] NCUC TRAVEL PLANNING

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:15:43 CET 2014

Hello

So now I get to put on my travel agent hat, the part of chairing that I love most (not).

GNSO staff and Constituency Travel have been pleading for me to give them the names of NCUC’s covered travelers for the DC NCPH intersessional meeting and the Singapore meeting so CT can get the process moving, which will be particularly important in cases involving visa clearances.  As you know, with the ICANN-provided slots the general presumption has been that in the first instance we’d be sending elected EC reps, and if someone's not available then we look for replacements who are optimized for the meetings in question etc.  But as I’ve explained to staff, this is complicated in the current context by fact that we have an election process underway with some presently unknowable outcomes.  Hence they’ve asked that I at least give Constituency Travel partial lists now so they can get started, and we can fill in the missing travel slots when we know the election results on 15 December.  Hopefully this late notification won’t lead to problems in arranging someone’s travel, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

Regarding the Noncontracted Parties House meeting in DC on Monday-Tuesday 12-13 January:

 The baseline model is that people would fly in on Sunday 11th and depart either the evening of the 13th or else Wed. 14th, depending on itinerary availabilities.  Per usual, if someone wants to arrive earlier or stay later on their own dime ICANN might insist on conditioning this on the tickets not costing more than they would have on the ‘approved’ dates.  However, we might depart a little from that baseline; there’s been discussion of organizing an outreach-type meeting with DC civil society orgs/think tankers on Wed. 14th.  Staff have said they can cover one extra night of hotel from a separate budget line, but I’m waiting on clarification as to whether we can do a smaller constituency-level meeting or would instead have to do a big SG thing with all that entails.  So departure dates could be 14th or 15th depending on the answer to that, and peoples’ schedules etc, TBD.

We have six slots for this meeting.  When I asked here and on ncuc-discuss

> On Nov 14, 2014, at 11:43 AM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) Whether each of the candidates for the new EC would be interested in attending if elected.  Travel would be arrival in DC on Sunday 11 January with departure either 13 Tuesday or 14 Wednesday, depending on whether we do an outreach thing Wednesday and there is funding, possible, flight itineraries, etc., all TBD
>
> 2)  Whether there are other member would be interested in attending if a slot opens up (i.e. an EC member is unable to attend).  Probably it would be preferable if a replacement person were from the same region as the non-participating EC member, but this is not mandatory.

The only EC member to reply was Grace (who expressed interest, but as there are two other candidates for the AF slot we will have to wait to 15 Dec.)  So here I am again.

*Stefi and Roy, if you would be so kind as to respond to and let me know if you want to come to DC, that’d be helpful.

*João as you are the only candidate for the LAC rep one assumes you will be on the 2015 EC.  Would you be interested and able to come to DC then?   If so I will pass along your name to Constituency Travel and they will get in touch with you.

*For the AP slot as well we will also have to hold off until 15 Dec. as there are 3 candidates.

We also received expressions of interest from

*Kathy Kleiman (veteran regular member, lives in DC so no travel costs)
*Sonigitu Ekpe (regular member, AF region)

We’ll see what happens there.  I suspect we’ll get agreement to 1-2 more heads per SG to the meeting as IPC wants more IP lawyers there, in which case we can at least accommodate Kathy.

Regarding the ICANN meeting in Singapore 8-12 February:

We have three slots for this meeting.  The chair must go, and for the other two we rotate the opportunities across the three meetings per year.   Following the usual pattern, the logical option would be to give these to the two incoming EC members who have not had the opportunity, namely the new LAC (João) and AP (TBD) reps.

João, can you please let us know if you are interested and able to come to Singapore?  If so I will pass along your name to Constituency Travel and they will get in touch with you.

Thanks

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer