[NCUC-EC] NCUC EC Internal appointments/roles

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Jan 13 00:19:27 CET 2014

Dear Bill,
Thanks for this very detailed overview.

William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> [2014-01-07 15:51:13+0100]:
> E-platforms.  I don’t know if any of you have technical skills do system administration or web site management yourselves, or would be willing at least to simply coordinate the efforts of the folks who do that so their time can be well managed and focused.  But absent staff support to handle such things, (which we need to apply for, and probably could get) in the near-term we have to make sure our tech is working and people who join NCUC get fully plugged in and listed.  This is our most important team, and it desperately needs a coordinator.

I could take join this.  Apart from the below, what else needs to be done?

I'd be happy to set up an XMPP server with an always-on chatroom facility with help from Tapani (since I'll need ssh access and sudo privileges on the server).

* Website content & appearance
	It's unclear what needs to be done.

* Mailing list management
	I'd be happy to help with this, though given that it's running on autopilot (as it should), I doubt I'll have to do anything.

* Member database management
	I don't have any experience with phpgpadmin, but I could try it out.  The tough work seems to be gathering the data.

* Linux system administration
	I'm comfortable doing this, with some help.

* Wordpress administration
	I don't have any experience with WP, unfortunately, but could probably figure things out.

* Domain name + SSL cert + VPN (VPS?)
	There isn't much 'technical' work involved here, since it's mostly bill-paying.  I'm not the best in managing that.  I could however help in the not-as-easy-as-it-seems process of obtaining and upgrading our TLS certificate to enable https://www.ncuc.org.  It'll be a $150 a year investment.  Are we running on Nginx or Apache?  I'm more familiar with the former.

* Election management
	Given that Tapani's already done the grunt work on this, this too should be manageable.

Cheers,
Pranesh

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society