[NCUC-EC] [PC-NCSG] NCPH Intersessional Planning Call - Agenda Draft Version 5.1

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:43:56 CET 2014

Hi

Just to underscore a point, we get one shot at this meeting in session 3 to raise a substantive policy issue that we’d like to engage CSG on, or force them to stand up in public and not be able to evade (if you prefer).  On the planning calls they’ve been very keen to know what this might be so they can prepare, strategize well in advance.  There is another such call on this Friday and it’ll be raised again.  I won’t be able to make the call as I’ll be a plane, hopefully Rafik et al can.

So my question is, is the status of the PICs the single most important issue we’d want to engage them on? If so ok.  One could think of others though, e.g. where do they stand with IANA or privacy (both issues they specifically didn’t prefer) or…take your pick. Personally, I thought the BC’s press on the accountability call yesterday for a very narrow definition of the public interest as just guaranteeing name resolution seemed kind of ripe for exploration, particularly since some others seemed prepared to flock to this without much contemplation. This would tie into PICs too, but of course we might not be able to come to a shared view on it ourselves, which might reduce its value from a strategic standpoint.

Anyway this is fairly urgent to decide and it’d be good to hear more views.

Also, the plenaries with CSG will each have co-chairs, so whatever topic we pick we’d also want to be identify this person from our side.

Bill

PS: I’m not allowed to write to "ec-ncsg at ipjustice.org" <ec-ncsg at ipjustice.org> so deleting from the Cc, feel free to forward.

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer