[NCUC-EC] NCUC IGF Workshop Proposals

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 10:51:19 CEST 2014

On Apr 6, 2014, at 5:55 PM, Milan, Stefania <Stefania.Milan at EUI.eu> wrote:

> apologies for the late reply. I am bed-bound, given what I had in Singapore spiralled into something a bit more annoying (I spare you the details, but to on a lighter note: I sprained my right rib muscles by coughing and it hurts like hell!).

That’s your lighter note?  You need some therapeutic time off, or at least away.  I myself am currently 1500 meters up in Crans Montana taking in mountain air and sun, recommended…Amsterdam’s too low for the health (although it does have medicinal advantages…).

> Briefly:
> 1- I plan to attend IGF, but as usual I have no funding from my current university. As a European, maybe I could rely on the funds that ICANN makes available for traveling within the region? (Turkey should be region, for me, isn't it?)

Last I heard there was talk of CROPP not continuing into the next fiscal year, so unclear.  Ask Rob, or Pranesh can as our co-coordinator of this unused opportunity.  Also, let's hear back from ICANN on the IGF budget request.  If Rafik’s is approved that’d cover me, and if mine is approved we’d have two slots and can then sort out relative neediness and need to be there.

> 2- I suppose I can create an account and help with submission. I would be happy to help.

Ok thanks.  Actually from a MAG standpoint non-WEOG colleagues would be preferable, if willing...

> I am not sure it is me speaking or the high fever, but what acting as a remote moderator involve?

RM is listed on the program (which can be helpful to some folks for funding visibility etc) and sits with computer and watches what the remote folks are typing and then when we go to Q&A the moderator asks for a read out of any questions.  That’s the standard deal.  But as I tend to draft clueful friends to do this I usually expand the role a little and after the panelists do their thing ask if the RM has 1-2 min. thoughts on what’s been discussed before going to the audience.  So RM+, or .5 panelist, however you see it.

On Apr 6, 2014, at 10:58 AM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

>  For ICANN Globalization & the Affirmation of Commitments we have Fiona, Vint, and Anriette,

and now Paul Levins, so we have two authors of the AoC and good voices on its globalization…could use another global South person who will ask hard questions and maybe have constructive suggestions from a more G77-ish standpoint.  Any ideas?

Bill