[NCUC-EC] NCUC IGF Workshop Proposals

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 10:19:08 CEST 2014

Hi

IGF workshop proposals are due 15 April.  Last year I did 3, this year I’m going to propose 2, one on globalization and the AOC, the other on the clearing house function.  I can do them as UZH sponsored or as NCUC sponsored, but prefer the latter as this would open the door to a couple travel slots if my budget request to ICANN goes through (and if Rafik’s proposal for NCSG goes through, there’ll be one more).  I’m on a short time line and so need quick feedback from EC members:

1.  Which of you are planning to go to Istanbul?  Would your attendance be dependent on getting ICANN travel support, or would you have some other support to get there anyway if no support available?

2.  Who has already or would be willing to set up (takes a minute) an account on the (new and pretty screwed up thus far) IGF website and make the submissions?  The MAG adopted this dumb rule this year that MAG members cannot submit, so I can’t submit what I organize and will need help, one for each panel. It’s not hard, I can draft the texts and assemble the speakers (with any inputs if you like), so it’d just be a matter of cutting and pasting stuff into the fields on the secretariat’s online form.  If no interest here I will ask a regular member.

3.  To get a high rating in the MAG’s review the proposals will have to be very multistakeholder and geo/gender diverse, which means (as with the NCUC conference) I can't submit something with multiple civil society people—at best, the moderator and one of the 4-5 speakers.  On both topics I have CS folks in mind who happen to be centrally engaged in the debates on the topics, but we will also need Remote Moderators and there it’d be easy to add someone if anyone here is interested.

4.  That I’m organizing these two and prefer to brand them as NCUC-organized given the budget request of course doesn’t preclude anyone of you from proposing another if you want to organize, shape, speak at something.  There’s a limit of three submissions per organization now, so it would be possible to brand a third panel as NCUC rather than your home institution.  However, given that some members of the current MAG have their nose in a snit about organizations submitting multiple (and I know of a certain CSG MAG member who was annoyed we had 3 last year), it is possible that 3 will invite negative reactions and conspiring on low ratings in certain circles.  Just a wild card risk to be aware of, don’t know if it will play out.  Ad if proposals are strong they normally could survive any Machiavellian stuff on the part of a few.

So: I would greatly appreciate responses ASAP to the above, particularly on who would be willing to submit for me and, if interested, serve as remote moderator if they’re approved.

And any other thoughts?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Bill