[NCUC-EC] EC Decision Making

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 11:05:46 CEST 2013

Hi

The length of time it took Ed to get responses on the SCI appointment and all the unanswered questions and proposals I've posed here about CD, ICANN Academy, etc etc. should by now make it clear to all, after nine months of experience, that it just doesn't make sense to hold up every little EC decision pending a majority vote.  It simply doesn't work, for whatever reasons some people just do not respond to mail fast enough or at all, and threads end up dangling in ways that are not only a pain in the butt to keep track of; when people ask us for answers and we dither and delay it feeds perceptions in the wider community.  So at least for smallish and routine items we need to return to the way NCUC worked for a decade before we got here and accept that it is ok to declare there to be sufficient consensus if after several messages and days a couple folks have replied and nobody has objected.

As we are late, I am therefore going to tell the ICANN Academy people that Tapani will be our person for Leadership Academy in BA.

Thanks

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer