[NCUC-EC] Leadership Academy

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 19:25:11 CEST 2013

Hi

On Sep 19, 2013, at 5:29 PM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

> It’s unclear to me as to whom the programme is targeted at. Another way of putting it, is I’m not sure the content and level is one for which you should be a teacher or a student. ☺
>
> If you think that you have the time and would benefit from attending the Academy then by all means you should be the one to go.

Well, very much of two minds here…

Sandra sent me the detailed program (see attached).  I'm not so into Part 2, but there are parts of Part 3 I could teach, and parts I could really learn something from.  So I'd kind of like to be in BA early enough to attend some parts a la carte, like the sessions on AOC, SSAC, etc., and imagine I could talk my way into the room even if not formally registered.

The other consideration is whether something collaborative might happen on the Friday.  Like I said, I don't have the headspace to catalyze another thing after Durban and with Singapore on the horizon, but I would play second fiddle if someone else started the orchestra.  So the way I left it with Olga is, if she decides to do a thing Friday, or if someone else comes to her with a concrete thing they'll do the work on (she's heard from NPOC, ISOC, PIR, dot Gay etc but nothing concrete yet), she'll tell them she's also talking to NCUC and suggest we all team up.  Would be a win win all around I'd think, but we'll see if anyone's willing to share a sandbox.

In light of these points, and with Constituency Travel telling me that I need to give them flight info today, here is what I propose:

1)  I will book to travel Wed. 13th.  If spend Thursday-Friday doing ICANN related work, whether attending the Academy or doing something with Olga, I might ask the EC to kindly consider reimbursing a couple hundred bucks for the extra hotel nights.  If instead I decide to go off and do tourism, then of course I wouldn't.

2)  This would free up the Academy gig for someone else. Tapani expressed interest and availability to do the whole leadership training experience, so I will give Sandra his name.  Tapani if you have already been negotiating flights with Joseph and Dominic you'll need them to recalibrate, I guess you'd need to arrive Tuesday 12th and ICANN pays Tues-Thurs out of the Academy budget.

Do this meet with your collective approval?

Best,

Bill