[NCUC-EC] Spanish language brochure update / Travel funding proposal

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Thu Sep 19 17:37:21 CEST 2013

I’d like to make a proposal / get some feedback for an idea to double up on
our outreach / diversity efforts in Buenos Aires. As it involves the
expenditure of NCUC funds for travel purposes and the recruitment of
someone to use those funds, I’d like to get some feedback from EC members
ASAP so if we decide to do this we can give appropriate notice to the
person selected for the position.

You’ll recall that a week ago I proposed we get the brochure produced for
the Durban meeting translated into Spanish for the Buenos Aires meeting.
Having received no objection and some support I put out a call for
volunteers to do the translation. Roy Balleste stepped up and not only
volunteered but I’m pleased to say that Roy communicated to me yesterday
that he expects to have the translation completed sometime next week.

Roy’s response wasn’t the only one I received. One of our former EC members
(whose initial correspond to those of a famous American hamburger
restaurant) wrote to me suggesting that we consider funding someone, in
full or in part, to not only do the brochure but to be in Buenos Aires to
tweet in Spanish and post reports / blogs to our website before, during and
after the meeting. After thinking about it a bit I’ve come to the opinion
that it is a great idea and we should do it.

Reasoning:

1. The next three ICANN Meetings are in countries where English is the
predominate or an official language. This is our only chance to do
something like this during the next year;

2. It’s a chance to use our updated website in a way that highlights our
commitment to diversity. A front page, English on the left, Spanish on the
right – it’s a strong statement;

3. For locals attending the meeting and for those from the Spanish-speaking
world our effort will undoubtedly be noticed and appreciated. I highly
doubt other groups will be making this type of an effort;

4. We’ve spoken of using about $5,000 per meeting for travel funding if a
good reason could be shown for it’s use. I’d submit that this is a good
reason.

If approved, I’d also suggest we give Roy the first opportunity to take
this spot. He’s already done the brochure as a volunteer; it’s only fair he
be given a chance to do the rest.

Comments? Thoughts?