[NCUC-EC] NCUC @ IGF Bali Funding

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 15:22:21 CEST 2013

Hi Ed

On Sep 9, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>

> Shame about Kathy. If last years IGF is any indication the odds of remote anything working properly is..well, remote.

I've seen IGF RP work well many times and to my knowledge people have usually been reasonably happy with it.  That said, it's an all volunteer effort and the host's facilities can be a constraint, so going up to 6 speakers is good insurance.

> At present I have just four speakers lined up because I wanted to see how this issue evolves, so in principle can add up to two more.  This is probably advisable with Kathy presenting remotely, you never know if there'll be glitches.  The question is who.  I've had expressions of interest from Google and Peter Dengate Thrush, which would be good for the dialogue but leave us with a unduly skewed (Northern) demographic.  Another option might be to use the travel slot to bring someone from a developing country who's deep into this issue, although I had trouble identifying non-usual suspects for the Durban discussion.  And I don't know if ICANN would accept giving the support to a non-NCUC member, in which case the panel would then skew too heavily toward NCUC members….ay yi yi.
>

> If we were going to fund a non NCUC member it would be nice if it could be someone with whom we'd have a relationship going forward: someone from a nonmember CS institution who could be prompted to join us or an individual in a position to help our policy objectives. A trip to Bali could be used as leverage to achieving other goals.

But IGF panels are supposed to be diverse in stakeholder group representation as well as geography and gender, so I really shouldn't load up more CS people.  I'm on the MAG and was involved in drafting the workshop criteria, and I overdid it and proposed three workshops they approved in a crowded field, so I am loath to break the rules in technicolor!

> That said, would using the funding for a nonmember give ICANN pause before providing funding in future years?
>
> It might be worth giving Pranesh Prakash a shout to see if he can think of anyone from a developing country with an interest in the issue. Nothing on the CIS website but...
>
> As for our membership you're aware of the interests and strengths of everyone far better than I. Joy comes to mind as someone who could argue either side with equal conviction (!). Given she was in Baku, as were most of our Counsellors and senior leadership, I'm thinking she may already be funded. That's something we need to be careful of: we want to use the ICANN funding to bring someone in who will contribute yet without support would not otherwise be able to attend. Shame we can't split the awards…

Joy will be there for APC and was great in Durban.  I hope she chooses to come along, but again it'd be best to add speakers from other groups.

> b)  Targeted Non-Speaker Solution: identify someone from the NCUC clan who could come and help in other ways, e.g. outreach.  Could be EC, Council, or general members.  Self-nominations welcome.
>

> I'll self nominate myself but only because I have schedule availability. We can and should do better than me.

Ok, noted.

> I do have thoughts on what needs to be done, regardless of who is there to do it. We should take a look at what NPOC did last year and do the opposite. Nothing against NPOC - kudos they actually had a session - but we can do better.  I have confidence you'll put together a panel with folks who know how to speak: after you did your 10 or so minutes (the content of which which would dovetail well with Milton's History of the NCSG if there were a video of it out there somewhere we could put on our site) and left for another engagement the presentations were sleep inducing.
>
> Beyond that, NPOC did no branding of the session. To the extent permitted by the IGF we should have signage up front identifying who we are,

Signage on UN premises is a problem with a painful IGF history since Sharm.

> brochures and paper membership applications and pens quickly placed on every seat prior to our session and a box to collect the applications at the exit. Simply giving out our email address won't work. Bertrand and Paul did a nice job in introducing the IJ project in Baku using many of these techniques. You left the NPOC session not knowing who put it together. You left the IJ session feeling part of Bertrand's extended family. We should aim for the same.

Bear in mind, it's an UN workshop, not a political rally.  And multistakeholder in panel and audience; they're not there to get our religion.   It's been a clearly understood norm in IGF that the event is not for a group's advocacy, lobbying, fundraising, and so on.  I don't know what Bertrand did but from what you say he may have stretched things a little, although for a research initiative as opposed to advocacy network it's a bit different.

In any event, no bunting, no posters, no pens.  We can have a stack of brochures, say it's an NCUC event, but then the focus must be on the substantive issue, closed generics.  Same with the NCSG workshop.

> As for publicity sheets...of course, colour paper, printed and distributed in advance. Will ICANN provide the printing support and, perhaps, give us the resulting sheet in Bali? As for distribution, remember Beijing and remember never again.
>
> If we go the non-speaker route, Brenden comes to mind as someone who would be an excellent choice.

Same problem and not his issue

> Perhaps we could sort out some way to even exhibit the movie somewhere in the exhibition hall...
>
> On another matter, Megi Margiyono from Indonesian Users Advocacy applied for institutional membership months ago. I don't see him on our membership list or on the applicant list. Am I missing something? It might be nice to have someone local that could help with logistics. Anyone know what happened to his application in NCSG-land?

Don't know.

For the other panel http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2013/workshop_2013_accomplish_list_view.php?xpsltipq_je=249 I lined up Rudi Rusdiah, Chair of the Association of Community Internet Center (Indonesia) and a NCUC member.  I'll be in touch with him when we get closer to urge local engagement.

Thanks,

Bill