[NCUC-EC] Conduct of the NCUC Election

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Oct 22 06:12:36 CEST 2013

On Oct 22 11:14, William Drake (wjdrake at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:
> >> November 6 - 19 (Constituency Day): Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss
> >> November 20 - December 3: Nominees submit statements
> >
> > I don't quite see why this phase needs to be so long.
> > Indeed, why not allow nominations all the way up to the deadline
> > of candidate statements?

> these have always been separate phases

Why? - I guess Glen needs the candidate list some time before the
election for technical reasons, so if that's it, fine.

> and one would think two weeks is enough. bounds expectations on the
> field.

Two weeks should be plenty.

> > for votes requiring quorum such as bylaws revisions it would be
> > important to weed out totally passive members.

> bylaws revisions?  THIS year?

Of course not, but on general principles such procedures
should not be created only on the last minute when they're
about to be needed. So I'd prefer to create the procedures
sooner rather than later - and when there's an election
coming, what better time than now.

But what we seem to be converging is just what I proposed:
a member is in good standing by one of
(1) response to our poll in the spring
(2) response to Robin's NCSG verification request
(3) response to separate message to the rest
    I'll send out ASAP.

In the future I'd suggest doing regular (annual)
verification message (it can be automated almost
completely) and using that for defining "good standing".

> > (A minor technical point: the list on the website is "live", generated
> > from the database, so any new members admitted will appear there
> > automatically. That also means it isn't stable and using it as
> > Chair's published voter list could be a bit problematic if we
> > admit new members during the 30-day period.)

> So let's not, people shouldn't be able to join and vote less than 30
> days later anyway. Just freeze it 30 days out.

Good.

--
Tapani Tarvainen