[NCUC-EC] Teams & EC Churn

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Mon Jun 10 20:07:17 CEST 2013

Hello Bill,
Hi,

> I don't see much relation between that characterization and what I have
> done as chair; e.g. I laid out an agenda in the election season, ran on it,
> and then tried to get people help to implement it.   But no matter.

And it hasn't worked. Something you privately admitted to me within the
past week.

> You certainly have long range vision, the committee idea was nothing less,
> but you're pretty flexible and adaptable in ways I'm not. Both ways of
> doing things are not absolute, have various pluses and minuses, but create
> a certain tension when in concurrent operation.We see that here. What you
> may see as an opportunity, I may view as a diversion. Neither viewpoint is
> right or wrong, merely different perspectives of the same set of
> circumstances.
>
> You have led with great energy, great passion, great integrity. No one
> should doubt that William Drake has done everything he could to make the
> NCUC a viable, energetic, exciting place to be. I greatly admire what you
> have tried to do and am very sad at the energy you've had to expend facing
> opposition that has no real reason for being.
>
> I can't pretend any more that I'm heading a Membership Affairs committee.
> There is no such committee.
>

> The listserv for the Membership Team was launched 31 May and you are
> already declaring it dead? I'm on that team, told you I would support any
> efforts you made to lead it forward, and suggested a concrete and small,
> doable project to start with, one which up until yesterday you were saying
> you'd be happy to lead and guaranteed would get done.  But whatever.

So let's talk about that "concrete, small and doable" project.

You come to me with a rushed request for a brochure by Durban. I had it on
the agenda for Buenos Aires. I have two people recruited to produce it and
a newsletter, both young, both enthusiastic. Both were waiting to be
admitted. Thanks to the interim NPOC chair we're actually now getting
movement on their applications. Thank God for Cintra.

So I get this enthusiastic young man ready to produce a brochure. He sends
me his cv, I forward it to you, Oops.

No, we now are having ICANN produce the brochure. Sorry Viktor. What do I
tell the kid? What do I keep telling those I've recruited who have been
sitting on waitlists for months?

The fact is we need to be building an infrastructure first before we start
on these grandiose plans. We need to know where the money is coming from,
how we are going to do things, before we involve others. Structured
planning versus fly by the seat of the pants leadership. Budgets, not just
for travel but overall.

I wonder if Viktor still wants to join the NCUC after being jerked around?

As far as our May 31st launch...unlike the Finance team and the Charter
rewrite committee (which you are the facilitator) we had meetings on
inreach and outreach. We even have minutes. People, including Roy, promised
deliverables. None took place. I'm still waiting for my first response from
someone over the age of 18 to the simple question "what would you like to
do" or for someone to take over the facilitator role. Silence from all,
including Roy. One response. I can't pretend there is a committee, I don't
know how you can.

> Well…Wilson and Tapani are taking the website forward

Yes, two men. With help from community members. No team needed.

At least you now acknowledge their work. Last week you posted a statement
akin to "since we won't have a website" despite previous assurances from
Tapani we would have one. That was a day you also welcomed a member I had
welcomed six months earlier, while suggesting other EC members (presumably
me) should have done so.

>   There were initial glimmers of engagement in the Finance Team, but the
> lack of a coordinator soon drove it to ground.

Who appoints coordinators?

I have a guy up in Scotland with an MBA waiting for his first Finance
committee meeting. Still waiting.

> Reboot the EC. If Norbert decides to step down, I would like to offer to
> do the same.
>

> I don't see any reason to tie a solution to your situation to whatever
> Norbert decides.

I do. Replacing me with an individual, Roy, who failed to deliver on two
deliverables he promised (a call to the ILA to see why they joined NPOC and
not NCUC and active recruitment of library and i.p. professionals) is not
going to change anything. Replacing two people with new blood might.

> I appreciate your goodwill and offer, and I think it makes sense and we
> should act on it immediately rather than screw around drawing things out.
>  This way you'll be freed up entirely to work on your DT, hang with your
> SO, and all the other stuff you mentioned on the Membership Team list.

Let's be clear about one thing: although I'm just a volunteer and not
someone who derives my income from internet governance, I would not be
stepping down due to lack of time, I would be stepping down due to lack of
confidence in your program going forward. The things you mentioned are the
reasons I can't commit to produce a brochure in two weeks. I was going to
work my ass off to get it done in four. I will note, Dr. Drake, that you
don't seem to be able to find time to produce a brochure quickly yourself.
You certainly are citing time constraints in your responses to Carlos and
Milton (no Carlos, I don't think you should have to fly into Durban a few
days early to arrange for rush publication of a brochure, as Bill
suggested) when they, perhaps, don't want to do things your way.

As Tapani and Wilson can verify, I brought to Beijing samples from a U.K.
publishing company for assessment. They signed off on it. I asked you to
look at it, there was never time. If you wanted brochures done by Durban in
a manner your volunteers could produce it you needed to act then. You
decided to wait for ICANN money and you lost time. We are not staff. We are
volunteers.

>  Plus, since you told me you didn't actually want to come to Durban

Absolutely 100% not true and you know it. Stick to the facts, please.

I was willing to step aside so others with better call on our resources
could use the support. Tapani had first call on a trip and he's earned it.
I felt it essential our African EC member be at a Meeting in Africa. Wilson
needed to be there.  I only wanted to go if my need to be there was greater
than others. As you know, I proposed a way of getting non-EC people there.
We agreed to talk about that in Durban. When Wilson came up with the ISOC
trip I agreed to come. The deciding factor was my belief I might be able to
help out on the BGC issue,  requests from two fellow EC members that I come
and lack of a viable alternative in the rushed manner we were asked to
provide names.

I then, as you know, had a lengthy to do with CT about getting there in
time for your event. In the end, I used £1,337 of my own money to buy a
ticket to get there for your event with the hope and prayer that ICANN will
reimburse me in time so Genvieve and I can pay our September rent. To
support you at a time when the only NCUC member showing up for your event,
according to the Doodle, was Robin Gross. I thought you needed more help. I
stepped up when others didn't.

Funny, for a guy who didn't want to come to Durban I sure as heck acted in
an unusual way.

> and would get in and out as quickly as possible, and that you're not happy
> with the outreach event etc,

Again, I wasn't happy with the way it was done. Good soldier that I was,
though, I risked my own money to get there to try to make it work.

> .
>
> In light of your message, I shot Roy Balleste a note saying you were
> interested in stepping down and asked whether he's accept an interim
> replacement appointment as the NA rep on the EC.

The word was 'willing', not 'interested'. It was preconditioned on the
actions of another. If I step down immediately an election would be
required. You would not be making an appointment. IMHO you should not have
approached others until the precondition occurred.

>  I also asked if he'd be willing and able to come to Durban if we could
> get Constituency Travel to reallocate the resources.

First, if I were to step down and the trip had not been allocated that
would be a decision for the remaining EC members to make, not you.  In many
ways this an example of one of the problems I've had with your leadership:
you're making decisions and then  present them as fait accompli.

I was offered the trip, I accepted the trip. This trip was not connected
with any position I held in the NCUC. I have paid for my trip using
personal funds so I could be in Durban to support you. The ticket is
nonrefundable. If the EC no longer wishes me to go I'm happy to tear the
ticket up upon reimbursement of my outlay. It would make Genvieve very
happy. Me too.

>  His answer to both was a very enthusiastic yes!!  Which is great.  Having
> Roy sunny outlook, technical skills (he's going to do the policy data base
> for the new website) and demonstrated willingness to actually get stuff done

Such as the two items he promised to do for outreach and never delivered?

I like Roy. It's a shame he hasn't stepped up to take the facilitator roll
when he had the chance. He still does.

 - And meanwhile, you could reposition to a space where you're more
comfortable in all senses.

I'd be very comfortable as a member of a real Executive Committee.

When, again, will you be announcing the first of four Executive Committee
meetings you are required by the Bylaws to schedule and hold?

I have requested it Bill. Remember my month or two of saying let's follow
the bylaws?

One of the revelations for me in Beijing was how much Carlos had to offer
when asked. I really looked forward to working with him planning Buenos
Aires. If we had EC meetings perhaps he'd be able to give us more valuable
input.

I'm not comfortable being part of an illusion. The EC, the
committees...illusions when we need concrete reality.

> If this is ok with you, I will send a note to the member list saying
> you've decided to refocus your efforts on NCUC policy work and are stepping
> down, with thanks for your service and looking forward to working with you
> in your new capacity etc. etc.  And write to Constituency Travel and say
> please please reallocate the Durban ticket.  Sound good?

Absolutely not.

I will not lie to our membership. Just as I refuse to pretend we have
active, functioning committees I'm not going to tell the Members I'm
resigning because I'm not honoring the obligation I made to them when I ran
for this position, that I've found something else to do.

I will tell them, should I resign, that I am doing so because I have lost
confidence in your leadership and your plan for the Constituencies future.
I will briefly explain that I thought your committee structure was a noble
idea that has failed but rather than reboot you thought it best to continue
on that path. I will note there have been no EC meetings and our bylaws
have been ignored. I will explain my belief that we need to focus on things
like infrastructure (i.e. creating a budget and budget process, travel
policy, procedures for admitting members and an MIS to do that) rather than
the grander stuff that has been tried. We're not ready for the more
elaborate stuff.

I will tell them I personally like you as much as anyone on this planet,
that you work harder than anyone can ever expect and we're lucky to have
you. It's because of my personal affection for you, my respect for your
intelligence and integrity, that I've decided to step down to give you a
chance to succeed or fail on the basis of your leadership and your ideas,
the later of which I can no longer support. I will wish you luck and stand
ready to help you in any way I can.

Bill, I'm doing this not because I don't want to serve but because I can't
serve in the way you want me to. I have 164 names of targeted recruits on
three mailing lists ready to go out, but I won't pull the trigger until we
can handle their applications. I'm not opposed to spending $2,000 on the
dinner or picking up hotel costs, I am opposed to doing those things before
we have a budget and a financial plan. There are other EC members who agree
with this, but they are worn out.

I keep my word. I will step down if it gives you a real chance to make your
ideas a reality over the next eighteen months. That is what I stated. So,
this is what needs to be done for me to resign:

1. You need to publicly state that you are running for re-election to your
current position next year. We both know that 1) you have recently
considered taking other positions within ICANN that would require you to
leave this one and 2) that your project is, at minimum, a two year plan.
I'm leaving to give you a chance to make your plan work because I can no
longer pretend it is or will. You need to make an 18 month commitment, as
stated in my offer,  to make it work. I'm not leaving a position I deeply
care about for you to run away before completing your job;

2. Norbert must decide to leave. It's my call and you need two hard working
members to have even the slightest chance of pulling this off. Replacing me
with Roy is not going to change anything. Two new people might;

3. One of your selectees, or an existing EC member, must take over the role
of MA facilitator before I step down. I will be resigning that position
immediately.

4. This all needs to be done no later than June 20th so I can plan my
commitments going forward.

Until such time as I resign by notifying the membership,  I will continue
to function as North America's elected representative on the NCUC EC.

As far as Durban, you know me well enough to know that if I'm there I will
work as hard as I can to support you or anyone else who can use my help. If
 you and the EC don't want me there I'm happy not to go. I will require to
be reimbursed the approximately $2,000 outlay I've already spent on my
ticket. Shame I decided to come early to support you or this would not have
been an issue.

Again, I'm doing this so you can bring in your people to accomplish your
goals. I could just stay around and be a pain in the ass or do nothing but
that doesn't accomplish much. I also like and respect you far too much. If
you can't or won't commit as I asked or things don't work out in a way
where I think you have a shot of reaching your goals then I will remain on
the EC and will work with you on areas we both agree on. I just can't
pretend I'm heading a committee that doesn't function or have a role on an
EC that never meets or act or be treated as line staff.

I'll immediately resign as facilitator of your Membership Affairs committee
and we'll wait for the rest.

I hope it all works out for everyone. Those who we represent need a real,
functioning NCUC if they are to have the type of internet they want and
deserve.

Ed