[NCUC-EC] Fwd: [NCUC Finance] Budget Requests for Policy Conferences

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Sun Jun 9 14:41:01 CEST 2013

Hi Bill,

I have no interest in getting involved in a pissing contest with each
other, and I know you don't either. I hope you can accept the fact that
Carlos and I came away from out little Beijing meeting with a certain
understanding, things changed as opportunities arose that you reacted to in
an effort to push things forward...you certainly did tell us what was
happening. it may just be a question of leadership style. You once asked me
where I came up with these people, when you mentioned the need for a
brochure and I had two pending members who might be able to help us
out.That wasn't an accident.  I set Buenos Aires as a goal, asked what I
wanted to accomplish, targeted people I knew who could help me achieve my
goals and  recruited them. I tend to set goals, create a strategy,
implement the strategy. You're more of a fly by the seats of the pants type
of guy. You certainly have long range vision, the committee idea was
nothing less, but you're pretty flexible and adaptable in ways I'm not.
Both ways of doing things are not absolute, have various pluses and
minuses, but create a certain tension when in concurrent operation.We see
that here. What you may see as an opportunity, I may view as a diversion.
Neither viewpoint is right or wrong, merely different perspectives of the
same set of circumstances.

You have led with great energy, great passion, great integrity. No one
should doubt that William Drake has done everything he could to make the
NCUC a viable, energetic, exciting place to be. I greatly admire what you
have tried to do and am very sad at the energy you've had to expend facing
opposition that has no real reason for being.

I can't pretend any more that I'm heading a Membership Affairs committee.
There is no such committee. We tried InReach and Outreach, had some initial
minimal interest, people made committments to do things, but not one person
did what they promised me they would do. We are all volunteers, we take
what we can get, we move on. I tried to reboot things by combining the
committees, I asked people what they would like to do and received one
response. Sensing a failure of leadership I offered to step down as
facilitator but no one seems to want to replace me.

All of this reminds me of being a remote moderator at EuroDig last year.
There was no one to moderate. "Ed, any questions from our remote
participants?". "No, Wolf, no questions yet." No questions? There was no
one remotely participating! We can pretend we have committees but we really
don't, at least ones that function. Our vaunted EP committee is actually
two guys doing their best with input from some really helpful members of
the community.

Please do not take this as a criticism.The committees were a fantastic
idea, They should have worked. They didn't, but not from any lack of effort
on your part. Now what? One approach would be to try to create a more
sustainable structure for the Constituency...Budgeting, travel, special
projects...the things I want to get on the agenda for Durban. I'll try to
get a list for you midweek. Do with it what you will.  I do have another
idea, Bill, one that I hope you'll think seriously about...one that gives
your plan and vision another chance:

Reboot the EC. If Norbert decides to step down, I would like to offer to do
the same. This is a multiyear project, and I currently have no intention of
returning for year two. I'll find other places I can contribute, I'm
starting on a DT tomorrow for example, and you deserve people around you
that you can count on being with you for the duration. If Norbert and I
both step down you can reboot the entire project, take an 18 month view,
and by replacing 2/5 of the EC,  bring in new blood, get people around you
more in tune with your management style, get some excitement going and
hopefully achieve everything you've set out to do. I want this to work. We
need this to work. That it hasn't already doesn't mean with new impetus it
can't. A reboot with new people in leadership roles...please consider. It
just could be the thing that could work.

Respectfully,

Ed