[NCUC-EC] Budget Allocation for NCUC Reception @ Durban

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Jun 5 12:14:33 CEST 2013

Hi

On May 25, 2013, at 12:20 PM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> On another front, we have several events under consideration for the ICANN Duban meeting 14-18 July. First, it appears that NCUC member the Association for Progressive Communication will be organizing a capacity building 'winter school' on Internet governance for some government and stakeholder attendees just prior to the ICANN meeting, i.e. 10-12 (Wed. - Friday) July.  This will likely be held off site at a university campus.   The last session on Friday will be a joint event organized by NCUC on how we work in GNSO and how to get involved etc.  This could be sort of a prequel to broader workshop I proposed for Bali, Civil Society in ICANN’s Multistakeholderism: The GNSO Casehttp://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2013/workshop_2013_list_view.php?xpsltipq_je=249.  Basically, it'd be an outreach effort geared toward African civil society in particular.  Afterwards, NCUC will sponsor a reception for attendees—nothing swank obviously, but a good bridge building opportunity.

So as mentioned subsequently on ncuc-discuss, APC succeeded in getting the funding and the African School on Internet Governance is happening.  APC is kindly inviting us to organize a session at the end of the day Friday to talk about NCUC—description and analysis of civil society @ GNSO and outreach to potential members and fellow travelers.  This is a good opportunity for us, and hopefully we will have a new website and tri-fold brochure to use in our Durban outreach (more on these in separate mail).  As I've also mentioned, what I discussed with Anriette Esterhuysen of APC was the possibility that NCUC contribute to the partnership by putting in some money to sponsor a reception.

The planning is progressing, and Anriette's now suggesting that the school finish with a big dinner at a nearby resto.  Anyone who's ever been to an "APC dinner" at a global IGF will know the concept—basically a party with food and drink. She thinks we can handle 50-60 people with a $2,000 (acknowledged) contribution from NCUC, but if it turns out to be more she can try to cover it from other fundraising.  Of course, any and all NCUC members would be welcome to attend.

I therefore would like to formally propose that the NCUC EC approve an expenditure of $2,000 for this purpose.  If people could respond yea or nay ASAP that'd help as I've promised her an answer.  I propose we again follow the model of 24 hours no dissent motion passed, if questions or dissent then discuss…

On a related note, just FYI, one of our members, Glen McKnight, has shot video of our past policy conferences and Beijing workshop that are on the web (You Tube and other stuff needs to be linked to the new website).  Glen offered to film our Friday panel at the African School if his Thursday-Friday hotel could be provided.  Happily, Anriette agreed to cover this for us on the APC budget if he'd shoot the other bits of Friday for them as well.

We will also need to deal soon with a few other small budget allocations for Durban:

*Wilson got an ISOC fellowship that pays his air fare but I guess not his entire hotel stay.  This allowed us to use the two ICANN travel supports for Tapani and Ed.  I propose that NCUC cover Wilson's outstanding hotel needs, which I assume he will be writing to us about and will be reasonable.

*In light of the NCUC workshop and reception Friday, as you know I have encouraged our office holders and related folks to come a day earlier than their approved travel and suggested NCUC cover the extra night of hotel. So far, only Robin and Ed (depending on resolution of ICANN Travel difficulties) have responded that they can come and will need support.  I will have to ping people again.  Anyway, if people can get ICANN to approve early flights we could end up with a half dozen or so folks needing a night of hotel, and would have to allocate the funds for that.

I imagine we're talking potentially a couple thousand dollars for these two hotel items.  Given that we have spent no NCUC funds on travel support and according to the bank info Milton supplied at the beginning of the year, last year's EC spent $10,000 on travel support, our total Durban outlay should be quite reasonable, consistent with past practice, and manageable in relation to our assets.

Thanks,

Bill