[NCUC-EC] Interim Asian Representative

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:41:23 CEST 2013

On Jul 30, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

>>> I don't think we can do that without a decision by the EC,
>>
>> Which I thought we took in Durban.  Was I dreaming?
>
> We did, but now it seems you want to override that decision.
>
>> We had a discussion about how to deal with there being two, and I
>> thought there was consensus around the table that if one dropped out
>> we'd appoint the other.
>
> I don't recall such a decision, nor do I see it in my notes
> or the minutes (which you approved). What we decided was to
> ask for a statement from both candidates and choose one
> of them after that.
> Now that one candidate has withdrawn, a new decision is
> clearly needed.

I thought there was an understanding we were going to appoint one of the two, and if one drops out that obviously means the other is in.

>> But if you'll feel better with each EC member making a formal
>> utterance, okyodoky, please go ahead and convene the email meeting
>> in whatever form works for you.
>
> All I want is that the decision is clearly documented as
> an EC decision.

ok.  I'm packing to leave on vacation, could you please start, I presume EC members other than the chair can propose

>>> We'll yet have to decide where to archive EC meeting
>>> minutes, but thinking up a suitable place in the website
>>> won't take long. In the meantime just posting them here
>>> will do (I'll post the Durban meeting minutes forthwith).
>
>> I thought we discussed this too, and under Governance we were going
>> to add a category for EC outputs—minutes, operating procedures like
>> travel policy, etc. But I guess since we didn't each make a formal
>> statement of approval it didn't happen.
>
> I don't remember that, other than very general discussion that
> they should be archived somewhere... my memory may fail, it
> sometimes does, which is one reason I like writing decisions down.
> But I think this is just a technical detail that doesn't need a formal
> EC decision, any more than other design details of the website.
> But of course it won't hurt either.
>
>> So: I formally propose that we do this.
>
> Do you have a name in mind for the category (menu entry)?

Indifferent.  EC Discussions and Decisions?  Outputs?