[NCUC-EC] Rafik is already on the NCUC EC

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Jul 3 11:00:31 CEST 2013

[Rafik, you've just been added to the NCUC EC mailing list,
explanation below.]

On Jul 03 10:12, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> > "The Executive Committee shall have the following duties:
> > 9. Appoint a delegate(s) to serve on the NCSG Executive Committee.
> > Any NCSG Executive Committee delegates shall also serve in a ex-officio
> > (nonvoting) capacity on the NCUC Policy Committee and NCUC Executive
> > Committee."

> Thanks for the eagle eyed reading. I didn't recall this one.

> So in December, one of our first actions upon taking office was to
> appoint Milton and Rafik to serve another year as our NCSG Executive
> Committee delegates. You agreed with this decision, which was taken
> (egad!) by consensus rather than a vote
> http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2012-December/000296.html.

There's nothing wrong with consensus decisions per se, when making
decisions according to bylaws, although the decision should have been
documented better.

> Whatever. Milton is already on the EC as (nonvoting) ST, but we've
> been incorrectly leaving the Dynamic Mr. Dammak out of the fun for
> the past half year. He should be added to the EC list immediately
> and also listed on the new website as ex officio like Milton.

Yes. Subscribed him already, will add to the website in a moment.

> Which I guess brings us back to the replacement of Norbert. Since
> Rafik is already here, lives in Japan, and is very active in Asian
> Internet governance circles, perhaps he can sort of informally play
> the regional role on an interim basis. If he were to do it formally,
> that would require making him a full EC member with voting rights
> which would contradict his ex officio status so I suppose we
> couldn't do that.

Right.

> But at least he could convey any sense of Asian considerations into
> relevant discussions. Or we could more aggressively recruit a
> separate interim; there's a couple people I might be able to
> persuade, given that the "regional" role hasn't historically
> entailed too much work.

Some people certainly haven't done much.

> Which, by the way, should also be a problem for bylaws sticklers.
> Under IV. Executive Committee it says

> The Regional Representatives shall be responsible for:
>
> 1.            Recruiting new members from their regions
>
> 2.            Working with members from their region to help them understand the ICANN structure and participate in the Constituency and ICANN processes.
>
> 3.            Voting on the EC on the matters listed in section IV.F below. All EC votes called by the Chair must be responded to in ten days. Regional representatives who fail to vote within that time limit four times in a row are considered to have resigned their office as per VII.B.2 below
>
> 4.            Ensure that members from their region are made aware of and respond to calls for comments by members of the Policy Committee on Working Group and other Council and other ICANN policy
>
> development activities. Regional Representatives must provide a reply to all such requests from the Policy Committee.
>
> Have our regional reps all been performing these functions? :-)

I have done 1 and 2, although not as much as I could have. Mea culpa.
As for 3, all have voted on 100% of the zero voting calls from the chair.
Ditto 4, the nonexistent PC has made no such calls for comments.

> > I seem to recall Rafik was elected directly and not appointed by NCUC EC,
>
> No, see above

Right you are, and that is good, so we can get Rafik on board easily.

--
Tapani Tarvainen