[Ec-ncuc] Mission statement and identity

William Drake william.drake
Wed Jan 9 17:52:10 CET 2013

Hi Norbert

On Jan 9, 2013, at 4:18 PM, Norbert Klein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 9 1.2013 21:30, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> Sounds good to me. I take it he's new NCSG member and we still
>> need to get him to join NCUC, by whatever process we can manage?
>>
> I think it will be most important to clearly, but briefly, have a description about what is what - NCSG, NCUC - and how they relate - and this in the wider environment of the GNSO of ICANN.
>
> I think whenever I talked with people about the possibility of them joining NCUC, I often got questions about what-is-what. A reference to the ICANN site or some sub-sites will probably NOT provide clarity, but frighten people because of the complexity of ICANN.
>
> Therefore WE should try to elaborate something easy to read, and clear - less than one page - saying WHY we are in NCUC and what we strive for.

This material from the front of ncuc.org seems a bit dated but ought to be clear enough, one would think:

Who can join NCUC?
The NCUC is open to noncommercial organizations and individuals involved in education, community networking, public policy advocacy, development, promotion of the arts, children's welfare, religion, consumer protection, scientific research, human rights and many other areas. See our charter for membership eligibility (including proposed revisions allowing individual members).

How do I/we join NCUC?
The NCUC is a Constituency within the Noncommercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG) at ICANN. To become an individual or organizational member of the NCUC, you must complete the NCSG application and select NCUC as the Constituency you wish to join. Once your application is approved, you can join this website. Get involved in protecting the communication and activities we value on the Internet!

If you don't think it's clear enough, would you be willing to take a lead on drafting something new that we could use?   Later when we have a functioning communication comm we can elaborate it further to taste?

Bill