[Ec-ncuc] [NCUC Finance] Finance Team reboot

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Thu Feb 21 22:54:37 CET 2013

In my recent reply to Milton I inadvertently put a link to a post requiring
access to my Gmail account. Let's hope no one could get in!

Here is a copy and paste of the post referred to:

William Drake via<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=1311182&authuser=1>
 alumni.usc.edu
Feb 11 (10 days ago)
to Maria, EC
Hi Maria

> I have no strong feelings here, but having a clear policy would be good.
> I think the list should include the secretary-treasurer, though.
>
> --
> Tapani Tarvainen

Hi Tapani.

I totally agree. Are you suggesting we ask our chair to appoint a Secretary
- Treasurer?

I defer to our Chair on that issue. I would only suggest is that if such an
appointment was made the Chair do his best to appoint a female, in the
interest of EC diversity.

I'd put off addressing this until after LA, and here we are.   Well…per
previous, the absence of Secretary Treasurer is one of the, ahem, little
ways in which NCUC has not been complying with its bylaws, the most recent
of which (I believe…so many out there posted) states

*
*
* • The EC shall consist of the Chair, a Secretary-Treasurer and
Regional **Representatives
(one for each of the geographic regions recognized by ICANN). These
EC members shall:*
*
1. Be elected on an annual basis by Constituency members in an online vote
(with the exception of the Secretary-Treasurer, who is appointed by the EC).
*
*
*
So if we want to be compliant with at least this bit of the current bylaws,
we must indeed appoint an ST.

Maria, you bravely stepped forward and agreed to serve as Coordinator of
the Finance Team.  It would be entirely logical and our great pleasure if
you would concede to formally take on this title as well.  I don't imagine
it would involve a notable work expansion from FT coordination because a)
we would assist you in any ways necessary to make it viable for you, and b)
most of the relevant provisions of the latest bylaws are manifestly
non-operative, i.e.

*The Secretary-Treasurer*
*
1. The EC shall elect a Secretary-Treasurer (ST) to assist in the
management of the Constituency. The ST will be nominated to the EC by the
Chair, with notification to the membership, and must be approved by a
majority vote with at least three members voting. If three EC members fail
to vote within two weeks of the nomination, the Chair shall appoint the ST.
*

[expect you'd be unanimous]

*2. The ST shall process membership applications, research applicant
organizations, and provide an initial recommendation to the Chairman
regarding membership eligibility.*
*
*
[the first function of saying yes/no is a no brainer given the NCSG charter
and can be handled by the Outreach Team; the second and third functions are
done by the NCSG EC ]
*
3. The ST shall be responsible for collecting dues and any other
appropriate fees from members, depositing such fee, managing the
Constituency's bookkeeping and accounting, and regularly reporting to the
Chairman regarding finances and accounts.*
*
*
[we do not have fees and never have, no idea what that text is doing there.
Managing the accounts and reporting to the EC, that should be done by the
Finance Team you already lead]
*
4. The ST shall assist the Chairman as needed, including in the
coordination of meetings and the timely publication of meeting notes.*
*
*
[ICANN Tool Kit provides these services now]
*
5. The ST shall be a nonvoting member of the EC, and shall be expected to
participate in all EC meetings.*
*
*
[where, formalities aside, I'm sure your opinion would be given full weight
by your peers]

So in short: were you to ascend the ST throne, you would a) not be doing
much of any work beyond what you've already committed to as Coordinator of
the FT; b) could coordinate the FT with a firmer hand, as a member of the
EC, and improve the info flow between the two; c) be listed as a Officer of
the constituency, have the pleasure of participating in our little EC world
and bringing some desperately needed hormonal balance; and d) earn the
undying gratitude of the teaming masses.

Would you be so kind as to accept this invitation?

Best,

Bill
--

Sorry for the error.