[Ec-ncuc] Video update

Milton L Mueller mueller
Sun Feb 3 22:14:02 CET 2013

Bill, I don't mean to prolong this debate, but your <cough> "brief" list of things to add would amount to an academic lecture that balloons the proposed video to a 45 minute powerpoint slideshow, one that has almost no relationship to the project that was originally approved. You've fallen into the trap that I warned Brenden and Eric about when they sent things by the EC for basic tabs-keeping and financial approval, namely that you've taken it as an invitation for a committee to completely remake the video. (It's bad enough that it's a committee, but a committee of non-filmmakers to boot).

In particular, you have demonstrated why you are an academic and not a filmmaker. You have added complex _verbal_ ideas like "we put 6 people on the Council oh by the way, explain what the Council is; a list of engagements (that'll be exciting, what do you propose, rolling lists of bullet points?), invitation to join 3 or 4 different task forces (the names alone will take 10 seconds, longer than most existing shots, to pronounce); a "nod to constituency building" (whatevertf that means - I believe Kathy nods her head once in the current cut, so maybe we have that one covered).

And then you say, " I would think things like this could be blended in rather easily via graphics with narrative..."

...except we don't have any graphics, they have to be produced, and no narrative, which would have to be written and recorded. These things cost money, and time.

It would be easy to humor you and pretend that these kinds of demands can be accommodated. But I have to be honest and tell you they can't. You are talking about a different project.  Let's finish this one first.

This one is what it is at this point. It's short, introductory, and pretty good. Based on your ideas, I can ask to maybe expand the time to 4 minutes instead of 3, but sometimes less is more. Remember, Superbowl commercials are 30 seconds.

We were lucky to get a professional to work at below market rates. You are proposing to send him back to the drawing boards, with a lot of nonviable ideas. It ain't happening. Unless, of course, you want to consider a $10,000 post-production fee. All in favor, say, "fiscal cliff"

And it's completely unnecessary to even debate this, because we will have all of the footage and if you want to make a different video later on, we'll turn it all over to you, along with tons of other photos, exciting organograms and lists of task forces to knock yourself out with.

We have a simple decision: $2000 for post production, yea or nay. Please make a decision before the week is out.