[Ec-ncuc] Video update

William Drake william.drake
Fri Feb 1 20:02:46 CET 2013

Hi everyone

How about we move this to the archived EC list rather than just a Cc line of EC members?  And copy in Maria and Mary as the coordinators of the Finance and Comm teams as well.

On the process point, and per Tapani and Ed, it'd be healthy to start following a standardized workflow in which 1) a team responsible for an initiative (on something like this Communication presumably would have been the right one) 2) sends a rec to the FT which 3) coordinates with the EC and then if approved MM cuts the check within the context of FT-overseen account management.  This is what the EPT will be doing with the proposal to pull our lists etc. together on an independent server.  Of course we don't want to construct unnecessarily rococo bureaucracy, but anything that improves the levels of transparency, accountability and collective decision making seems better than just having a few folks agree stuff informally, especially if we end up acquiring and allocating more resources down the line.  Good to get in good habits?.

In this case, the initiative was undertaken by the previous EC and is apparently well down the track in terms of financial commitments, so perhaps backing up and following such a process would seem silly to some. So ok we can short circuit 1 and 2, but let's at least have some record of what's been discussed and agreed in the EC by using this list.

On the substance?to be entirely honest, with an election pending and new constituency building efforts having been proposed on the members list etc, I sort of wish we could have waited on this and done it a bit differently.  The production values are high and Eric has got it together, but I'd have preferred content that is a little more structured and hit some points that nobody mentioned, e.g. NCUC's in a particular phase and launching xyz, ICANN's at a turning point with new gTLDs and internal changes and external geopolitical challenges that make CS engagement more important, some stuff indicating that we're aware of that developing countries exist and are into outreach and strategic engagement, etc.  I also think it'd be logical for a new video PR effort to have at least a few seconds of new EC members who are doing stuff saying outreachy y'all come things etc.  To me, this feels like a video NCUC could have shot five years ago, or more.

Given the above, I'd have preferred a second bite at the apple in terms of adding in some new content.  But we're not going to fly Eric to Beijing with camera in hand, and we can't blend in bits shot with different production values.  And he's awaiting instructions.  So I guess we give him more money,  option 2, and hope the product proves to be of value in the context of larger revamping and messaging efforts??

Bill