[NCUC-EC] NCUC CONSTITUENCY DAY

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Apr 2 12:34:35 CEST 2013

Greetings from smoggy Beijing (bring your masks, no kidding)

So Tapani, you are back from the wilderness?  Good to have you on board!

We have just over a week to pull together a boffo inspiring Constituency Day, folks.  So I would really appreciate if we could collaborate a bit intensively from here on to pull this together.  Some of you I've not heard a word from in quite some time, but I'm relying on you to help out.

You will note that I've posted to the members list the draft CD agenda.  Since nobody ever has comments on these, I suppose this will be the final agenda.

I would not like it to be me droning on endlessly on all points, but rather to have some distributed leadership on display.  The whole point of the teams approach was to establish structures where a) the lead role in the performance of key tasks is in the hands of different EC or other members and b) anyone at any point can choose to join and help out.  So even if so far some teams have been kind of moribund, that needn't be terminal—they're just getting going at different rates in accordance with people's individual circumstances, bandwidth, & organizational need.  For the first quarter, clearly the e-platform renewal was our key focus and contribution, we needed to have that in place so that people can start to coordinate more effectively on multiple fronts.  For the second quarter, I think it'll be the bylaws refresh, so that we are set up for the EC election post-Buenos Aires with EC slots based on tasks rather than geography.  Anything else we can achieve along the way, in-reach/outreach, publicity materials etc, will be icing on cake.  And bear in mind, after F2F meets it's often a lot easier to get people to step up and say they'll help with xyz than it is just via mail pleadings.  So I remain optimistic some of this stuff can take off and develop momentum…

So: I cut and paste below agenda.

Could the people whose names appear please come prepared to offer some clear and concise overview of what they & colleagues are up to, preferably aided by a few slides with points so people remotely as well as in the room can follow along easily?  Such slides should be sent to David before Tuesday, as he'll be operating the Adobe.  If you cannot do this or have some other preference please let me know.  If I list two names it's cuz I don't which of you wants to do what; you can tag team, or do solo, just let me know.

1.  Introductions

2.  The New Constituency Building Initiative: Background and Organization

3. E-platforms 					[1st quarter priority]
New VPS
(Wilson Abigaba, Tapani Tarvainen)
New Member Roster
(Tapani Tarvainen)
New Listservs
(Tapani Tarvainen)
New Website Development
	(inc. content: institutional memory, teams, members, etc.)
(Wilson Abigaba, Brenden Kuerbis)
Other
(e.g. Video, accounts for video streaming, FB, twitter)
(Brenden Kuerbis)

4. Finance and Budget
(Maria I'm not clear on whether you want to facilitate this team or not, and hence whether you'd want to speak?)
Organization and Roles
(Milton how about you talking about what you've done as Treasurer, how we can reconfigure S/T in the bylaws, and sharing the bank numbers?)
Fast Track Requests submitted 22 March: IGF Bali, print materials
Regular Requests due 19 April
GNSO Tool Kit Requests
Travel Funding Guidelines

5.  Programming
Beijing Event: Panel Themes
(Wolfgang Kleinwachter, Milton Mueller: to insert a little substantive discussion into our diet, and get the juices 								going for for the workshop, how about you overview panel 1 and 2 and invite some brief discussion of main 									themes, questions we could explore? )
Durban
Annual Conferences
In-Meeting Workshops

6.  Now in Launch Stage Team Efforts
In-reach/Member Engagement
(Ed Morris)
Outreach/ Recruitment
(Ed Morris)
Communications
(Mary Wong?)

10:30/5 	Coffee Break

10:50 - 11:10	Nomcom visit

7. Bylaws Revision  				[2nd quarter priority]
Problems & Priorities
Main Discussion Items
	Redefine Nature of EC Seats?
	Policy Committee? (& role of constituency more generally, division of labor with NCSG & NPOC)

11:45-12:00  PIR Visit

7. (bis) Bylaws Discussion Continued

8.  AOB