[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nominating Ms. Olga Kyryliuk for the EU NCUC EC position

Olga Kyryliuk olga_kyryliuk at ukr.net
Fri May 6 10:51:45 CEST 2022

Dear All,

Please, find below my candidate statement.

Olga Kyryliuk, Europe, Female, Program Manager, American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative, (ABA ROLI)

Conflict of interest: none that I’m aware

1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?
I’ve been part of the NCUC EC for the two last years and would gladly continue contributing to the development of the constituency for one more term. With all my current EC colleagues being nominated again and in case if elected it would be easy to continue doing the work in the same composition.

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.
I have PhD in international law. Currently serve as a Chair of the Executive Committee at SEEDIG - South Eastern European Dialogue on Internet Governance. In my daily job working as a Program Manager at the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative in charge of the regional Internet freedom advocacy program. Founder and advisor of The Influencer Platform, a Ukrainian-based think-and-do tank. I am actively involved in regional and international Internet governance and human rights initiatives: founding member of the Internet Freedom Network for Eastern, Central Europe, and Eurasia; former open Internet leader of the Open Internet for Democracy Initiative. Provide consultancy and expert support to Freedom House, Council of Europe and a range of international companies working worldwide. During the last ten years, I’m putting lots of efforts into civil society capacity building and facilitating multistakeholder cooperation at the national and regional levels. I am well aware of the specifics of the European IG community and its challenges, have an extensive professional network, including representatives of different stakeholder groups.
I do not have any conflict of interests that could prevent me from running for the NCUC EC position.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.
Having completed two terms on the NCUC EC, I am fully aware of the required time commitment and am ready to dedicate my efforts to the development of the Constituency in the upcoming year. I have neither concerns nor reservations as to attending online and in-person meetings.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?
Same as before, I will keep informing the membership about relevant updates from the EC work and available regional engagement opportunities via available communication channels. I will also continue supporting the EC outreach and mentoring activities.

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why? Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and forward-looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the previous year.
I believe a stronger focus needs to be made on outreach to bring new members to NCUC but also a better diversification of efforts to ensure our meaningful participation in policy drafting and working group discussions.

Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances I won’t be able to attend Meet the Candidates Call later today but if needed I remain available to address any questions via email.

Best,
Olga