[NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting notes from the meeting with Goran Marby

Benjamin Akinmoyeje benakin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 04:30:44 CET 2022

Dear NCUC members,
Kindly see below the notes from the discussion I had with ICANN CEO.

Meeting Notes

Start: February 7, 2022, 21:15 UTC.

End: February 7, 2022, 22:00  UTC.

Location: Zoom call (online)

Attendees:

Goran Marby

David Olive

Carlos Reyes

Andrea Glandon

Brenda Brewer

Benjamin Akinmoyeje

Nature of meeting : informal interaction and cordial (not recorded)

1. Open issues

The following issues from the mailing list discussion  formed the core of
our interaction:

   -

   New gTLD Subsequent Procedures

How is ICANN org preparing to share the opening of the (upcoming) new gTLD
application rounds?

What marketing efforts is ICANN org planning to share the news with regions
and indigenous peoples that did not actively participate in the first round?

To reach these groups and regions who did not participate before, how much
before the application deadline will ICANN roll-out its marketing campaign?

How will it target its outreach to these communities?

In how many languages will the new gTLD materials be shared?

Can we petition for materials to be translated into additional languages if
members of (NCSG) want to reach out to communities we know, and whose
members may read/speak languages other than the six languages of the United
Nations?

Goran Marby’s Response: He acknowledged the limited reach of non english
domain names for minority communities and region and alot more can be done.
He mentioned that ICANN has invested heavily in this upcoming new gTLD
subpro. He stated that until non English speaking Internet users can use
their own language scripts. He believes real inclusion and truly
democratization of the Internet depended on this. He debunked the claim
that ICANN was more interested in the financial gains out of the process,
especially since most of the indigenous communities and regions are
financially unviable due to the size, it is imperative for ICANN to ensure
that these population are reached irrespective of how much effort is
required to make it happen. He cited the example of Papua New Guinea with
over 4000 languages, this approach will facilitate Internet diversity. He
strongly assures the community (non commercial users)that ICANN  has
invested and is still investing in the process to make sure things are done
differently these days than before. He mentioned unofficially credible
steps they have taken but not yet announced, such as marketing targeting
the population of interest. He hopes the NCUC will help foster the ICANN
community through our policies. He also mentioned the collaboration
Coalition for Digital Africa amongst other intensive investments in Africa
to reach those unreached by the Internet on the continent.

   -

    Whois/privacy and the SSAD - Global Public Interest around

Goran Marby Response : He stated no decision has been made yet and
everything is dependent on the PDP and ODA/ODP was just conducted in
respect of cost to see how much it will cost. However he made it clear that
the definition of GPI is subjective and it is highly dependent on how we
define global public interest and to whom it affects. He also said the
emphasis should be about the process, such that when the result is achieved
it is fair to all or almost all parties involved.

   -

   DNS Abuse / DNSSEC

Goran Marby: He commented that it is unfortunate that the DNS Abuse issues
have been politicized, despite the fact the reason for the concerns were
issues that were traced to social media platforms.  However he mentioned
that the recent development of DNS4EU and Russian’s call for ITU takeover
of the DNS due to recent risks are quite concerning.

Goran is willing to always  engage more with NCUC as he declared that he
has always been an advocate for the civil society’s voice to always be at
the table  even if we do not agree with his views. He awaits our invitation
to one of our meetings.

Kind regards,

Benjamin