[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement : Benjamin Akinmoyeje - NCUC Chair

Benjamin Akinmoyeje benakin at gmail.com
Thu May 27 22:33:15 CEST 2021

Dear NCUC members,

Thank you, Stephanie, for the nomination and constituency for giving me
this opportunity to serve as the Chair. This is

*Name*: Benjamin Akinmoyeje

*Declared region of residence*: Africa

*Gender*: Male

*Employment:* PhD Research Student

*Any conflicts of interest:* None

Questions:

   1. * Why do you want to serve on the EC? *  I want to serve on the EC
   because I want to help promote the voice of the non commercial constituency
   and advance the cause of the group, I also want to help enhance our
   visibility especially as the current period requires new means of
   engagement.
   I look forward to continuing to help our community to grow in technical
   capacity, and to  contribute to the PDPs.
   2.  *Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
   affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
   relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on
   the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you
   might have. *Currently a PhD students of Informatics, Faculty of
   Computing and Informatics, Namibia University of Science and Technology,
   conducting academic research in the area of persuasive technology and
   mHealth apps for stress management amongst university students, I am the
   current EC Africa, and I am part of HR CCWP, part of multiple ICANN71
   planning committees, also have contributed to some members training
   capacity building iniatives, support the social media outreach efforts of
   the NCUC.
   3. * The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
   Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
   on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your
   ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
   Meetings in person. he EC performs several functional responsibilities for
   the Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC
   role on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on
   your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
   Meetings in person.*
   As a research student, I have the privilege of time to participate
   actively in the ICANN process for up to 10 hours weekly to attend ICANN
   online meetings, possible area of concern may be the occasional need for
   quality internet access at meeting hours while I am at home.
   4.  *Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
   members apprised of your EC-related activities?* As the chair and having
   seen previous ways past chairs have  communicated with the community, I
   hope to emulate their communication style of always keeping members in the
   loop and also try to improve on it by actively engaging other platforms
   that technology has provided.
   Such as social media platforms like Whatsapp and Twitter. As a chair,
   the monthly EC meetings will continue to  and also devise quarterly calls
   or virtual town hall meetings for NCUC members.

   5. * How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
   future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?
   Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and
   forward-looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the
   previous year. *      NCUC's functions in the future will only expand as
   the need for protection of the non-commercial individual users of DNS
   increases, as we begin to see ICANN being drawn to issues such as content
   moderation, and the EPDP phase 2 , use of AI, free speech (freedom of
   expression online) and the challenges of digital rights/ Human Rights.There
   may be a need for NCUC to consolidate with other SGs with similar
    interests to push a common agenda. In the phase of multiple regulatory
   laws, and ICANN needs to continue to function, we must continue to voice
   the non-commercial perspective and the policies that I can develop. More
   than ever before individual rights to privacy and data protection have been
   challenged in DNS space, the situation calls for NCUC to be alert to ensure
   ICANN policies are sensitive to these realities.

Kind regards,
Benjamin