[NCUC-DISCUSS] FY22 Additional Budget Request (ABR): your input and ideas are needed!

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 02:52:55 CET 2021

Dear all,

As is the case every year, we have the opportunity to request additional
resources from ICANN Org through the Additional Budget Request (ABR)
process.

The request we may formulate must indicate what resources we need, or what
project we have in mind, and how such a project would further not only the
general purpose of ICANN, but also our own community's purpose. In our
case, that would be fostering and enabling participation of civil society
within the policy making at ICANN.

These resources are only allocated for concrete needs and Org prioritizes
the use of its own, internal resources first. In that sense, an ABR does
not contain a quantified request for a certain sum of money, but will
rather spell out what we want to do or achieve with eventual additional
resources.

As per rules set out by Org, the following *may not* be requested as part
of an ABR:

-Travel support to ICANN public meetings

-Stipend for external speakers

Travel support to non-ICANN events is subject to special rules, but is not
per se disallowed:

   -

   "the granting of any resources to support the presentation of panels and
   workshops at the global IGF will be contingent upon the proposed panels’
   relevancy to the ICANN mission and selection of the panel for inclusion in
   the IGF."

   -

   "A travel or sponsorship request will only be granted for ICANN-hosted
   or ICANN-sponsored events unless it is either (1) consistent with existing
   ICANN regional engagement strategies, (2) involves internet governance or
   DNS topics or (3) is otherwise coordinated with the ICANN Stakeholder
   Engagement Vice President responsible for the region in which the event or
   activity is held."

The EC agreed that one area that would deserve attention and improvement
would be our promotional materials as well as our web presence. In that
sense, we could request support for the design/printing of additional or
new paper materials, support for the design of electronic format or web
materials, and eventually support to improve appearance, layout, design and
ease of use of our website.

That being said, we need not limit ourselves to one ABR and we would be
happy to hear more from you on any other idea or project you may have. Do
note, however, that the EC is not responsible to flesh out an ABR idea you
may have. Moreover, we must authorize all ABRs that are submitted to Org
under NCUC’s name, and, subject to agreement of the whole EC, we would only
authorize ABRs that abide by the rules set by Org and that are sufficiently
elaborated.

Feel free to use this email thread to discuss ideas and elaborate on them
as well.

The submission form template is available on this page:
https://community.icann.org/display/projfinadhocws/FY22+Budget+Process

Thank you for your collaboration and have a nice weekend,

Raphaël, on behalf of the EC