[NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting with Göran Marby (ICANN CEO)

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 19:55:07 CET 2021

Raphael,

I have not been monitoring the HRIA discussion but if you remember, ICANN
announced a human rights impact assessment report in 2020 (I think around
July). Before we get excited about this, they have limited the assessment
to the impact of ICANN org's policies on staff human rights. so it is not
about human rights implications of ICANN policies on the outside world or a
focus on the community.

My question to the CEO would be if the continuation of their focus on human
rights would go beyond staff.

ICANN blog is here:
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/continuing-focus-on-human-rights

The report doesn't touch upon some very important issues, such as
whistleblower rights. But it does say that it has taken on some distinct
areas to assess.

I think the report has some shortcomings to be honest but that is with most
commissioned reports. It applies business standards to ICANN. Some apply
but some don't, for example ICANN is not a supply chain business that hires
people to do manual labor, so it should be a little more custom-made to
ICANN environment.

Here is the report:

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/summary-report-hria-15may19-en.pdf

Farzaneh