[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate statement: Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix, NCUC EC Chair

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:48:55 CEST 2020

Dear all,

Thanks again to Farzaneh for the nomination and for the nice support
messages received :)

Please find below my candidate statement for the chair position of the NCUC
EC.

***

Name: Raphaƫl Beauregard-Lacroix
Residence: Currently NA, possibly EUR in the fall, depending on the public
health situation
Gender: Male
Employment: doctoral researcher, University of Michigan Law School
Conflicts of interest: none

*Bio/Why serving on the EC? *

I am currently a doctoral student at the University of Michigan Law School,
writing my dissertation on the history of data protection law. I joined
NCUC in the fall of 2017 after having contributed to the work of the WS2
Jurisdiction subgroup (my first foray into ICANN-related work) As a member
of the NCUC, I have gotten into the habit of contributing to public
comments related to (the very exciting matters of!) finance, budget, and
planning.

Additionally, I have been the NCUC delegate to the NCSG EC for more than a
year and a half, time during which I have been in charge of managing the
relation with our hosting and customer relations management (CRM) software
provider, besides executing the other duties that fall upon NCSG EC
members. Things have not been moving as fast as they could have, but I am
still happy to report that we are on the way towards being able to spend
the money ICANN allocates to us for technical matters on improving our
existing systems rather than fixing oustanding issues.

If elected, I would gladly remain involved with such technical matters for
a certain time (in coordination with the NCSG EC,) at least long enough to
put in place the basic improvements that were initially foreseen, and so
that the whole thing can be easily "managed" by any member of the EC.

*Time commitment *

I do not have specific limitations on my ability to attend either online or
in-person meetings. I am aware that chair is a particularly high-commitment
position, and I am ready to give it the necessary time and effort.

*Communication to members*

I will continue to support the mailing list as the main channel of
communication for EC-related matters and will strive to report regularly on
the EC's activities.

I will also try make the best use of the outreach tools we have at our
disposal too and do my best to leverage the various experience and skills
of EC members and of the broader membership.

*NCUC's role and function *

As far as the constituency itself is concerned, I think my departure point
for everything is that both the constituencies, the SG and their respective
ECs ought to work as a team as much as possible.

Beyond that, we also have to figure out how to harness our diversity and
make that our strength. There have been efforts deloyed towards that goal
(as recently as yesterday!) and I will seek to support and further such
capacity-building initiatives. I am also interested in exploring all
possible ways to foster leadership among our members. I believe that
defending the interests of civil society is not as straightforward as it
looks, and I will be glad to put my efforts on identifying and featuring
what brings us together, in full knowledge of our differences. All that so
that we can work more effectively and reach our policy objectives. A
challenge, certainly, but one I will be glad to undertake!

As far as policy areas that deserve attention, I believe we have
experienced policy developers in our constituency and more widely in the
stakeholder group, and will be happy to listen to them as to the areas that
deserve attention. I have affinities with data protection given my
professional background, but I know very well there is more than that
policy-wise happening at ICANN!