[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement by Hago Dafalla for NCUC EC Africa

Hago Dafalla dafalla at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 00:05:25 CEST 2020

Dear Sir;

  Below is my Statement for the  NCUC EC Africa. Please confirm.
Thanks
Hago Dafalla

Candidate Statement :

Name: Hago Dafalla
Region of residence: Africa
Gender: Male
Employment: Faculty of Education, Computer Department, Zawia University, Libya
Conflict of interest: I have no conflicts of interest.1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?
First, in order to represent the best representation of Africa in this position, and secondly in order to serve and possible all stakeholders to exercise good stewardship cemented in human dignity. We need a period of renewal for another blood in the veins of this organization until the election of new people to the benefit of everyone.
To help my continental African and to raise the voice of African in ICANN. To try to support african people in the ICANN community.
I’ve been part of the ICANN community since 2008 when I attended my first ICANN meeting in Egypt, Cairo. I joined NCUC  since 2010 then remain an active member, which is proved by my continuous contribution to NCUC outreach activities, participation in ICANN working groups.
I am quite well aware of the concerns and challenges faced by non-commercial stakeholders within ICANN and am willing to invest my time and expertise to strengthen NCUC’s capacity and voice among other more powerful stakeholders.
2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.
I am Electronics Engineer (System Administrator and Network) I completed a Master degree in Computer Engineering and Networks. I hold a Ph.D. degree in the Information Technology.
I am actively involved in regional and international Internet governance and human rights initiatives, serving on the Executive Committee of the Arab Dialogue on Internet Governance, and being a  member of the Internet Freedom Network for Africa . Additionally, I’m a regular contributor to the agendas of Arab IGF, annual meetings, where I’m also presenting as a speaker or a moderator. I am regional director of East Africa for African ICT Foundation (https//africanictfoundation.org).
MY activities:

I am participating in many activities:

April To May 1996 : Training in E-Mail by Dr. Khursheed,McMaster University, Canada.

11 to 19 July 1998: Network Training workshop for Countriesin the Early Stages of Internetworking,

Network Navigation and Services Track, Geneva, Switzerland,Using UNIX as Operating System.

20 to 21 July 1998: Developing Countries NetworkingSymposium, Geneva, Switzerland, Using UNIX as Operating System.

21 to 24 July 1998: INET’98 Conference, Geneva, Switzerland,Using UNIX as Operating System.

26 July 1998 to Now: Internet Society Memberships (ISOC).

12 Oct. to 7 Nov. 1998: Fifth College OnMicroprocessor-Based Real-Time System in Physics, in the Abdus SalamInternational Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy, UsingLINUX as Operating System.

-1 To 19 Feb. 1999: Second ICTP-URSI-ITU/BDT School on TheUse of Radio for Digital Communication in

Developing Countries, in the Abdus Salam InternationalCenter for Theoretical Physics (ICTP),Trieste, Italy,

7 to 11 May 2001: African Network Operators’ Group (AFNOG)Workshop for Internetworking in

Scalable Network Infrastructure, Accra, Ghana.

12 to 13 May 2001: African Network Operators’ Group (AFNOG)Meeting, Accra, Ghana.

8-13 June 2003: African Network Operators’ Group (AFNOG)Workshop for Internetworking

In Scalable Internet Services. Kampala, Uganda, Using UNIXas Operating System.

14 to 15 June 2003: African Network Operators’ Group (AFNOG)Meeting, Kampala, Uganda.

- ICANN Meeting in Cairo, Egypt 2008.

- ICANN Meeting  inSydney, Australia 2009.

-ICANN Meeting in Belgium.

-ICANN Meeting in Costa Rica.

- I am a Member of Locking of a Domain Name Subject to UDRPProceedings PDP WG Working Group, ICANN.

- I served as a Member of The Inter Register Transfer PolicyPart C working Group, ICANN.

- I am participated in the 3rd Euro-Africa Cooperation ForumOn ICT Research, Scandic Marina Congress Centre - Helsinki, Finland ,2010.

-  I am participatedin the 2010 Euro-Africa E-Infrastructures Conference, Scandic Marina CongressCentre -Helsinki, Finland.

-  I am participatedin the 6th  International Conference onICT for Development, Education and Training, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

-  I am participatedin the AFRINIC Meetings, 2001,2003,2006,2011 and 2012.

- I served as NomCom 2011and 2012, AfriNic.

-  I am participatedin the African Peering Coordinate Forum (AFPIF), Peering Coordinators Day, Dares Salaam, Tanzania.

-  I am participatedin the EGM on the Roadmap for Internet Governance in Arab Region,  United Nations House, Beirut, Lebanon.

-   I am participatedin the first and second, seventh  AfricanInternet Governance Forum.

-  I am participatedin the First and Second Arab Internet Governance Forum.

-  I am participatedin the Internet Governance Forum, Bali, Indonesia, 2013.
3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency.  What  level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.
I have dedicate about 14 Hours a week and more if there are some more meetings available. I will perform my duties and responsibilities perfectly . Also to increase my contribution in ICANN Meetings in person and online meetings .
4. Communication with the membership is critical. How wouldyou keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

The Communications for the memberships is very important andit can be available through mailing list and regular announcements.

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or rolechanging in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attentionand why?

I promise to continue to raise issues with NCUC policy andrules. I need to raise the issues in Cyber security, especially in SocialSecurity ( protections of children from the dangers of Internet). We needto  continue engaging more youth peoplein ICANN Process and to hear their voice and their contributions. We have tocontinue engaging in the GNSO PDP process.

I shall pressure to see new faces in ICANN Board Membersespecially in developing countries. More about me see my C.V. attached here