[NCUC-DISCUSS] GNSO Leadership meeting, week of 23/11

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:13:34 CET 2020

Dear all,

We had another GNSO Leadership meeting during the week of 23/11, officially
dedicated to coordinating the Council response to the survey conducted by
Org on the meetings structure. It did mostly wander on to other topics,
however, and here are the few points of interest (this was initially posted
on the EC list; I made a few edits since certain matters have moved forward
since)

   - The GNSO must nominate a certain number of members (was not clear to
   me how many, at least one I suppose) to the Community Representatives Group
   (CRG), a group that will select the members of the IRP Standing Panel. The
   IRP Standing Panel is a pool of candidates that can be drawn upon to
   constitute an arbitration panel in the context of a given IRP. More on
   IRPs, aka Independent Review Processes, here:
   https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2020-07-23-en
   -
   - With regard to the selection process above (that is, selection of GNSO
   members to go on the CRG), the Council wanted to know whether it would be
   considered appropriate to use the GNSO Standing Selection Committee. There
   was a slight push back from several Cs and Councillors, notably Tatiana, as
   well as the IPC. In a nutshell, the point of that pushback was to stress
   the necessity of "binding" (no we're not talking about law, but I can't
   find a better word just now) the Standing Selection Committee with specific
   terms of reference, for the purpose of selecting GNSO reps on the CRG.
   Indeed, the Standing Selection Committee was not constituted for nor is it
   tasked with making selections of the same level of "importance" as those
   for the CRG. This appeared to me (as well as Bruna at the NCSG level) as
   something quite sensible to advocate for. The Council appeared willing to
   continue to collaborate with SGs/Cs on the matter, and there should be a
   strawman ToR floating around soon (soon as in some time during December)
   -
   - There was discussion regarding the GNSO review postponement,
   discussion somewhat moot now that the Board has taken the next expected
   step - we still don't quite know whether anything has been actually
   postponed, but we'll keep in touch with further developments following the
   Board resolution (see my previous email on that matter)
   -
   - Finally, regarding the survey conducted by Org on the meetings, their
   format, schedule, etc., the Council will have a closer look at the results
   of the survey, but will probably not provide an "official" response, given
   that it would not be quite in its remit. There will be a call this week or
   next on the matter.

Have a nice day,

Raphaƫl, on behalf of the EC