[NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting with CEO.

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Wed May 29 20:14:45 CEST 2019

Hi Bruna and all,

We did discuss this on the NCSG level, but might be worth to suggest
bringing this from the NCUC perspective as well - I will leave it to you
and to the membership to decide how worth this topic would be for
chair's meeting with ICANN CEO.

So the issue is the following. There have been concerns expressed by our
members (both NCUC and NCSG) about the work on the so-called evolution
of multi-stakeholder model. I personally -- and I believe I am not alone
-- would really like to have some more clarity as to how this work
correlates with other processes and how we ensure that it doesn't harm
or duplicate the on-going work by the ICANN community, especially on
accountability. This work on evolving MS model has started while there
are some processes on reforming ICANN has not been finished due to
various reasons, including resource allocation: for example, there is
community developed recommendations for WS2 accountability, including
accountability of AC/SOs, Human Rights Core value, still not adopted,
and we are still not even near the implementation and the timeline is
not clear, let alone the required resources. There is ATRT3 work going
on, there is PDP 3.0 implementation work of the GNSO council, so how the
work on the evolving model correlates with all this, especially
accountability, in terms of resources and efforts? Are we trying to
reform something before even implementing the set of reforms that are
already on the table and waiting to be implemented?

This would be my suggestion.

Warm regards,

Tanya