[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nomination of Bruna Martins dos Santos to continue serving as NCUC Chair

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 21:01:28 CEST 2019

Dear all,

Once again I would like to thank you all for the support added to my
nomination and work as NCUC Chair - this is all very humbling. You will
find below my candidate statement with some of the reasons why I decided to
run again for this position as well as some of the goals I do believe we
can achieve as a Constituency.

Best,

Bruna Santos
NCUC Chair
---------------------------

Experience in ICANN

My involvement with ICANN dates back in Copenhagen as a first time fellow.
One week prior to the ICANN58 I had the chance to participate at the NCUC
session at the Internet Freedom Festival that later resulted on my
application to be a member. Ever since, I continued to engage with our
Constituency and was offered the opportunity to attend ICANN59 as an NCUC
fellow. Back in november 2017 I was elected as the representative for the
Latin American and Caribbean region at the Executive Committee and in June
of the present year I was assigned the Vice-Chair position for the same
term. I also have been serving as the NCUC's chair since 2018 - first
stepping up as chair given vacancy of the post caused by the previous
chair's resignation and then being elected to this current term back in
2018.

Regarding public comments and PDPs, I am a member of the New gTLD
subsequent procedures PDP WG, an observer at the new gTLD Auction Proceeds
CCWG and recently joined the CCWP Human Rights. I have also contributed as
a penholder to several NCSG's submissions to Public Comments related to the
work of the New Subsequent Procedures WG.

NCUC and goals

As a lot of you may know, I have take on this present role under rather
intricate circumstances and had to go through some sort of forced
transition due to the challenges posed at the time as well as the previous
chair resignation. Therefore I had to learn the specificities of the Chair
position along the way, trying to rely as much as I could on the NCUC EC
and some key members of our community advices (thank you all for that).
Being 7 months into this first term as NCUC Chair, I do believe we have a
lot space for improvement inside our constituency - from strengthening our
efforts in onboarding new members to providing a safe space for the
exchange of ideas and building capacities to join policy work and so on.

Having said that, I would like to list the three following areas that I
could see NCUC improving at:

1. Communication: Members should learn about how NCUC is acting in the
different regions and should also be offered the chance to weigh into
debates and administrative work. Having said that, the idea is to continue
to foster all the information channels of our constituency in order to
improve the dialogue between NCUC leadership team and members. Sharing
information on how to get involved as well as the initiatives carried by
our members is a way to do it.

2. Outreach-inreach: given the fact that NCUC members are a representative
fraction of the internet governance community in all the different regions
of the globe, I think it is of utter importance for them to know who else
is alongside them and who they could reach out to in any subject they wish;
 Therefore, I would continue with members calls and activities regarding
the mailing list in order to strengthen NCUC's relation with the less
present regions, with the help of the EC. As NCUC is also on the way of
working on its Strategic Outreach Plan for the FY20, I would personally
like to hear more from our members and help connect their work throughout
the constituency.

3. Policy work and Capacity Building: Improving NCUC member's participation
in policy work is something I value and have been committed to at past
years.  Therefore, it is super important to continue to work closely with
the NCSG PC representatives in order to build capacity within the
constituency and become even more participative in echoing the CS voices in
policy related discussions.

As a Constituency we could reach higher levels of participation once the
right bridging between incoming members and PDP active members is done -
for that specific point, and in regards to what has already been discussed,
a great idea would be to strengthen some initiatives and opportunities
available such as the Buddy program and the Policy Writing capacity
building. But we also want to hear more from our members on the obstacles
to their participation in NCSG policy work, for that reason Stephanie,
Louise and I decided to work on our Engagement Survey
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc29AxH5wf-Q0VFQfZ5uJdR7KEJ0lvND9JsrGDuALmwNN7dgQ/viewform>.
We do believe that the diagnosis provided by this survey results will help
us find out about possible areas in which we should be improving our work -
whether its new members onboarding or any new capacity building efforts.

About me

My name is Bruna Martins dos Santos and I am the advocacy strategist at
Coding Rights, an organization that aims to advance in the enforcement of
Human Rights in the digital world. My work with Coding Rights requires me
to engage with legislative discussions related to broader subject o Digital
Rights in Brazil as well as some international discussions related to
Privacy and Data Protection - more specifically the brazilian General Data
Protection Law, Gender and technology and Freedom of expression.  I hold a
BA in Law with experience in Internet Regulation, Human Rights and
International Law. I am 28 years old and I am based in Brasilia, Brazil.

I have previously worked as a legal advisor at the Brazilian Government,
covering Internet Governance issues and being responsible for issuing legal
opinions on the implementation of the Access to Information Act and the
Civil Rights Framework
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Civil_Rights_Framework_for_the_Internet>
for
the Interne
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Civil_Rights_Framework_for_the_Internet>t.
I have also participate in several regional forums such as LACIGF and the
Brazilian IGF (FIB), and other IGF related intersessional work such as the
Best Practice Forum on Gender and Access.

Once again, I would like to highlight how grateful I am for holding this
position for the past 7 months and for being a member of both NCUC and
NCSG. If membership agrees on this second term as a chair, I would be
willing to continue coordinating our works and helping spread the
Non-Commercial word inside and out of ICANN.

My ICANN Wiki updated SOI can be found here:

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Bruna+Martins+dos+Santos+SOI