[NCUC-DISCUSS] [Elections] Statement NCUC EC EU - Louise Marie Hurel

Louise Marie Hurel louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 02:33:30 CEST 2018

Dear all,

Please find below my statement for the NCUC EC EU position. Feel free to
share any question you might have; I’d be more than willing to respond!

*About me:*

My name is Louise Marie Hurel, and I work as Project Coordinator on
Cybersecurity and Digital Liberties at Igarapé Institute, a think and do
tank based in Brazil. My work focuses on cybersecurity policy, norms
development and confidence building both in Brazil and internationally.
Also, I hold an MSc on Media and Communications (Data and Society) from the
London School of Economic and Political Science, and a BA in International
Relations from the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro.
Additionally, in spite of my institutional affiliation, I remain an
individual NCUC member based in London.

Most of my research focuses on the analysis of the intersection between
Internet governance and cybersecurity communities, data protection policies
and security for emerging technologies. This includes consultancy for
UNESCO’s project on multistakeholderism, two years at the Center for
Technology and Society at FGV (CTS-FGV) working on Internet governance,
security and privacy issues, participation at the BRICS Youth Forum (2017)
and approximately four years at the Center for Strategic and Political
Studies at the Naval War College in Brazil.

*My NCUC Background:*

I first joined NCUC as an institutional representative and shifted to an
individual membership for almost two years now. From ICANN 58 to ICANN 62 I
was part of the Onboarding program Where I had the wonderful opportunity of
learning from Kathy Kleiman, Ayden, and Thomas -- during which I was
participating as a member of the Rights Protection Mechanisms working
group. Thankfully, we worked closely with our previous NCUC Chairs in
making it easier for newcomers and members to understand NCUC and find new
ways of engaging with policy. Moreover, I have been following the CCWG-IG
(and the changes therein) throughout this past year, and have shared the
pen-holding task with other colleagues in drafting our NCSG-level comment
for the KSK Rollover Process. Since november 2017 I have taken the position
of representative for Europe in NCUC Excom, which has led me to working
with an incredible and diverse team who has continuously pushed us forward
and *through* all the challenges -- we learned a lot!

A sincere note: I confess it took me some time to consider whether to
accept this nomination given how challenging this past year was personally
for me -- given that I was doing my Master's, participating as EC and
working almost full time. However, knowing that I'm now only working and
researching, I would be able to dedicate more time and energy in a focused
manner to serving NCUC -- should you entrust me with this position. I am
grateful for the support and hope to continue working towards a more
inclusive and active constituency.

*Main Concerns and Points of Action:*
*Europe*
The main strategy for engagement in the region would be to maintain a
relationship with civil society groups in the region, be mindful of their
intersection with ICANN's work and informing them what we have been doing
in NCUC vis à vis civil society organizations in IG-related spaces (such as
EuroDig). Also, I will continue to send notifications about opportunities,
conferences as well as inform about funding applications from the region.

*Continuity and Inclusion*
In 2016-2017 NCUC underwent an incredible process of laying down new
guidelines for its' governance structure -- and here I refer to the
Operating Procedures and the approved Bylaws. This EC and the following one
are tasked with the responsibility of ensuring careful and accountable
development and implementation of these documents. I believe that, as we
progress, it is fundamental to ensure that we maintain a balanced and open
EC, that is capable of communicating challenges and opportunities as well
as dialoguing with the members. Trust is key, and I hope we can continue to
foster that internally.

*Capacity Building and Diversity*
Of course, this includes a continuous commitment to conducting our outreach
event in different regions. However, I look forward to furthering our
inreach capacities by tying the Onboarding materials with our buddy-mentor
program as well as working with the EC and the Chair in promoting more
editions of the capacity building and policy writing courses we had so far.
Making it more inclusive for members that cannot attend in person -- most
find themselves in this position. Furthermore, this includes taking a step
in paying it forward to some of the best practices that have organically
emerged within our community, that is: translating inreach and outreach
related documents.

Thank you for the opportunity and look forward to continuing this dialogue!

All the best,

Louise Marie Hurel

Cybersecurity Project Coordinator | Igarapé Institute

London School of Economics (LSE) Media and Communications (Data and Society)
Skype: louise.dias
+44 (0) 7468 906327
*l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk <l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk> *
louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com