[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nomination of Michael Karanicolas to NCUC Executive Committee - North America Representative

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 20:35:51 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the nomination. For those who don't know me, I am a
veteran advocate for freedom of expression, digital rights, transparency,
and privacy who has authored over 20 books, academic articles and other
publications on human rights issues. I currently work as the Canada
Researcher for the Open Government Partnership, a multistakeholder
organization which works to enhance transparency, civic participation and
public accountability, and I also serve as the President of the Right to
Know Coalition, which works to promote open government in Atlantic Canada,
and the Policy Director of the Domain Name Rights Coalition, which works to
promote freedom of expression and privacy in the ICANN space. I am also
currently working on my LLM at the University of Toronto, and I have a BAH
(Dean’s List) from Queen’s University, and an LLB (Dean’s List) from
Dalhousie University.

Here at ICANN, my focus has mostly been on policy development. I am
actively engaged in the RPMs working group as a voice for due process and
privacy rights. I am also the Co-Chair of the Cross Community Working Party
on Human Rights and the Rapporteur for the WS2 Transparency Subgroup. This
will be my second full term on the EC, and very much look forward to
working with the new faces of our incoming representatives, as well as
continuing to work with colleagues whom I greatly respect.

Best,

Michael