[NCUC-DISCUSS] David and his many positions at NCUC/NCSG/NPOC

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Oct 10 13:14:10 CEST 2018

Hi David,

In this email you seem to deflect from answering my questions by trying to turn them back on me. With respect, I did not run for office — you did!

So let’s put the facts on the table. You were nominated by an NCUC member who is not active in our policy work. Did you request this nomination? I ask because I understand you were nominated for the NPOC PC role only after you asked many different NPOC members off-list to nominate you.

You go on in your email to conflate ICANN-related activities, like being a part of a working group and serving in a constituency leadership role, as being the same as serving two different constituencies with different priorities and interests. This is a false equivalency. We have different constituencies within the NCSG because they are different (though there might be overlap at times), as is the case within the Commercial Stakeholders Group for example. The Intellectual Property Constituency might have common interests with the Internet Service Providers and Connectivity Providers Constituency at times, but they are ultimately not one and the same.

You then state that there is “one constituency [I] do not like”, which is a claim I reject, and I hope this false claim is not something that you have taken back to NPOC. You spoke in your campaign about building bridges between the NCUC and NPOC; if you have been setting fires instead, creating the impression that there is some kind of tension beneath the surface that only you can resolve, that would be disappointing to learn.

I agree that some people are capable of serving in multiple leadership roles. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this provided they can do them all justice. You cite Farzaneh being both a full EPDP delegate and NCSG Chair. She has a near-perfect attendance rate on the EPDP, and is active on the mailing list. She is also active as NCSG Chair. So for some people the answer is definitely ‘yes’ that they can faithfully serve multiple demanding roles. Sheryl Sandberg managed to write a book while serving as COO of Facebook; Jack Dorsey is CEO of both Twitter and Square. But the incentives at ICANN are different, and you have already acknowledged that the amount of time you can devote to ICANN activities is not unlimited.

Given this, do you have the time to devote to the NCUC and all of your other leadership roles?

Best wishes,

Ayden